⪻ 13 ⪼

Chapter Song: Rockabye by Clean Bandit feat. Anne-Marie and Sean Paul

 Anne-Marie and Sean Paul

Wednesday, 26 June 2019

⪻⪻⪼⪼

"Earth to Annabelle..."

I hadn't realized how long I'd been walking like a zombie until I blink out of my trance to find the infamous Dr Niall Horan at my side. He's standing proud next to me in the middle of the Paediatrics ward of the hospital, lord knows how long he's been casually following after me like a puppy. Last time I had checked I was just entering the building, not all the way on this third-floor ward. It's like when you're driving and you zone out and then come back to and question how you made it the past three kilometres without crashing your vehicle. Apparently, my exhaustion has gotten the better of me.

"Oh, hey, Niall."

"You alright? Been standing here for like a minute?" He chuckles questioningly, following me down the hall towards the direction of Neurology and Neurosurgery.

"Yeah, sorry. I didn't get to sleep until well after two in the morning and then by some miracle Edward was actually awake by seven and ready for the day. Not to mention, I've been working a lot of hours at the bakery this week."

Business has been pretty steady since April, and it's late June now. There have been lots of birthdays, tourists, and even a couple of weddings coming up that we're trying to prepare for. I've been putting in a lot more hours than usual, at least as far as a "standard" week for me goes, and I'm ready for a day off. Unfortunately, my day off isn't going to consist of sitting on the couch reading a good book or hanging out with Edward. My day off is going to consist of a lady doctor looking up my vag, followed by a quick lunch with Harry - not that I'm complaining about the latter - and then a visit to the bakery to meet with a potential new client.

"That's too bad. Business good though?" Niall hums as he waves to one of the other Paediatricians who is standing at the nurses' station.

"Business would be even better if you paid for the sweets you think I don't know you steal." I jest, jabbing him in the rib with my elbow.

Niall is our most loyal customer. He comes in a few times a week, more so now that he and Ruby have officially become an item. Before him and my assistant manager started canoodling he'd always stop by for a quick hello, ducking in back to find me either hunched over some sweet treats or sitting at my desk consulting our accountant or other business partners. Niall well and truly thinks that I can't see him sneaking whatever has been left to cool or set in the back, either that or he simply just doesn't care. He just can't keep away and I'm not sure whether it's my Chocolate Chip Cookie Sandwiches or Ruby.

"I pay you back in free babysitting."

"Oh, you've not babysat nearly enough to make up for my lost profit."