⪻ 27 ⪼

Chapter Song: I Guess I'm in Love by Clinton Kane

Same Night

⪻⪻⪼⪼

It's getting late. The sun had set long ago and an eerie quietness had settled over the full waiting area. The majority of the occupants are my family and friends, only a handful of others I do not know are present.

My father and Juliette are sitting at the edge of the room, holding hands and making small talk as they mess about on their phones. They had both shown up a few hours ago after Nathalie had called them. I appreciated them being here, knowing damn well they were both to be working in the morning.

Nathalie and Leigh-Anne are still sitting together across the room from where I sit, the two resting their eyes. Nathalie has her head perched against our sister's shoulder, their closest hands held together tightly. The two are exhausted, much like the rest of us, but they aren't quite used to the anxiety of situations like this. Sure, this is a new level of anxiety and fear for me, but I've learned ways to cope, they haven't. They need all the rest they can get after panicking and crying for hours on end.

Ruby sits beside me, an empty chair between the two of us. Nathalie had called her after we'd been here for about two hours, informing her of the situation. We told her not to worry too much and that we'd update her when we knew something, but she left Ian in charge at the bakery and joined us not long after the phone call. She really is a great friend to Belle, all of her employees are. Now that the shop is closed for the night, Ian, Jack, and Olivia have also come to wait with us.

Gemma and John were out of the country when someone from my family called them to inform them of the situation. Gemma was in New York for some type of conference and was doing her best to find a flight back to England, but had no luck today, settling on an early morning flight that would get her to us tomorrow evening. John, on the other hand, was in Singapore with Mara. He was able to find a flight for the both of them that would have them arriving into Manchester around eight in the morning tomorrow. Both promised they'd head straight for the hospital after dropping their things off at my dad's Manchester home.

My mum had been looking after Edward since yesterday, wanting to have him over since she hadn't gotten to spend time with him since his birthday. He was actually going to be staying the night at hers again. She was quick to bring him by once she heard the frantic nature of my voice before Niall had to take the phone and explain what was going on.

Edward had fallen asleep not long ago, his body slumps against mine as he blows soft breaths of warm air against my neck. His embrace brings comfort to me even though I couldn't imagine being at all comfortable or calm at a time like this. If he weren't here I'd probably be pacing the halls, punching walls, or having a pathetic cry in the toilet.

It's been five hours since Belle was rolled into the OR and I've heard jack shit. In that span of time, I'd managed to pull myself together before my family arrived, but that didn't mean I'm not on edge with the lack of news. Liam promised me he'd inform me of any news as soon as he could, but clearly, things were bad enough if he hasn't had a second yet. I try not to think of the horrible possibilities, but I can't help it.