⪻ 19 ⪼

Chapter Song:  Kindly Calm Me Down by Meghan Trainor

~ Same Day ~

⪻⪻⪼⪼

Edward practically hasn't left my sight since leaving the bakery.

I sat next to him in the backseat of Harry's Range Rover on the way home, clutching him to my side as Harry drove us. I helped him get changed into his pyjamas and get ready for bed - leaving him only long enough for him to use the toilet. After following him around like a puppy, I brought him into our room to sleep, terrified of even the thought of him being out of eyeshot. Now he's sleeping soundly in our bed, curled up beside me. He hasn't let me go since lying down, his head resting on my lap and arms wrapped around my legs as he sleeps. I just can't bear the thought of him being anywhere but within reach of me, not after everything that's happened.

I'm still on high alert, even hours after the incident now. My ears pick up every little sound around us and my brain immediately thinks it's danger coming our way. Dusty scurried off somewhere in the flat the moment we'd entered the flat and I nearly had a heart attack, clutching onto Harry for dear life until he was able to explain that it was just our pet. She's since sensed that something is off with us and has settled herself on the end of our bed, almost guarding Edward and me. Harry, on the other hand, practically has to announce his presence so I don't fall into a panic thinking a stranger is in our home. I know he's in the kitchen, but that doesn't mean my brain doesn't go to the worst-case scenario.

"He asleep?" If I hadn't heard his footsteps coming down the hall I surely would've jumped out of my skin. My eyes take him in, studying his features and everything about him. He looks tired underneath the facade of being a present protector. He's holding two cups of steaming tea and places one on his bedside table before walking around the bed to come to my side.

"Yeah, just dozed off." My voice is still hoarse from all of the screaming I had done earlier and my eyes feel heavy from all of the crying. I don't want to sleep though, I don't know if I even really can at this point. I just want to make sure Edward's okay, even if that means staying up all night just to keep a watchful eye on him.

Harry sets my tea down on my bedside table, smiling softly at snoozing Edward practically on top of me. I pet the sleeping boy's hair, thanking the heavens above that he's relatively unscathed, aside from the emotional and mental trauma we've both endured. His features are smooth, void of any emotion, as he rests, and for that I'm grateful.

As Harry walks towards his side of the bed, getting ready to crawl in, I speak up again.

"Can you lock the door?" I request, eyes scanning to the closed bedroom door. Harry smiles gently down at me, his eyes full of love and a little bit of pity.

"'Course, baby." He quickly locks the door, trying the handle to show me that it is indeed locked before finally crawling into bed next to me, Edward's body resting between us.