⪻ prologue ⪼

chapter song: forever... (is a long time) by Halsey

 (is a long time) by Halsey

Tuesday, 29 October 2019

⪻⪻⪼⪼

I don't remember anything before this moment.

When I think of amnesia, I think of the film 50 First Dates or that tried and true tragic plot line about the girl losing her memory and having to fall in love with her partner all over again. Short term amnesia really doesn't come to mind very often, aside from right now of course.

It's like someone's knocked me upside the head so violently that my thoughts and memories have been jumbled together and then someone just decided to hit the delete button. It's almost like standing in a pitch-black room; seeing nothing, hearing nothing, smelling nothing, feeling nothing. I can't remember where I am, what time of day it is, what I had for breakfast, absolutely nothing.

I don't remember why my whole body feels numb or why the only thing I can see is darkness. I'm scared, but I can't find it in me to yell or scream out for help. I'm oddly calm and that's the most terrifying bit.

I don't remember anything before the chaos that I somehow feel at this moment, ironic seeing as how calm I am. Even in an unlit, calm room, I still feel chaos. It's a chaotic quiet.

Is this what death feels like? Am I dead?

I just don't remember...

The only thing I do remember is a weightless feeling and my breath getting caught in the back of my throat, but that's about it. Even then I can't guarantee that those feelings were real or if they were just a figment of my fücked up imagination.

"Annabelle? Annebelle, can you hear me?"

My eyes feel like they've been glued shut with a titanium strength cement, although I'm not sure I would want to open them if I could. Until this moment, things have been silent, but that voice - that utterly familiar voice - is the only thing that's broken through my mental prison.

Could I be dead? Is death dark and completely numbing?

"Annabelle! The paramedics are on their way, okay? Hold on."

"Don't touch her; don't move her; don't do anything. She could have a spinal injury."

"I'm calling Harry, Nattie, tell him what's happening. Oh my God; oh my God."

"Annabelle, can you hear me?"

The majority of the voices that seem to be hovering over me are familiar. They're distant, but I can place them; at least this isn't a full-blown amnesia scenario... yet. I recognize Nathalie and Leigh-Anne's voices, and though they're panicked they somehow calm me even further. I'm thankful I'm not alone at least. If they're with me, I know I'm in good hands. I trust them with everything, including my life.