⪻ 18 ⪼

Chapter Song: Hanging On by Ellie Goulding

~ Same Day ~

⪻⪻⪼⪼

"You didn't see their faces?"

As soon as the police had arrived, the three of us were escorted out of the bakery. I broke down in another fit of tears when I saw the damage to my precious bakery. Whilst one of the men had been trying to get to me, the other must've just felt like trashing the place and that broke my heart.

The glass of the door and windows in the front is shattered, even the glass case that showcases our sweets is smashed in. The register has been pried open, but thankfully the petty cash and profit from the day were already locked away in the safe in my office. Even the back kitchen has pans and pots thrown to the ground, ingredients spilt on the tile, and even more glass broken. Tables and chairs have been overturned in the front too. It looks like a hurricane had swept through the area. Despite being thankful for the safety of Edward and me, I can't help but be heartbroken by the shape of my business.

Once outside, surrounded by a multitude of paramedics and police, Edward and I were taken to the back of an ambulance to get checked out. We were fine other than being shaken up and in shock and for that I'm immensely grateful. The calm didn't last for long though once the police wanted to talk to me, get my statement if you will. They wasted no time to speak with me, not even waiting for my pulse and blood pressure to return to a semi-normal rate.

"No, it was dark. I had the lights in the front and in the kitchen off. I was so engrossed in work that I didn't even really notice that the sun had set." If only I had finished working on time, then we wouldn't have been here, or if I had just turned on some lights then maybe the burglars wouldn't have tried to do what they did. "They were big though, I assume male, taller than my fiancé, definitely bulkier too." A shiver runs down my spine when I think about how easy it was for Harry to push the filing cabinet from my door. It would've been even easier for them if they had gotten to the lock turned.

"And your fiancé showed up when?"

My eyes immediately flicker towards Harry standing by the ambulance. He's visibly tense and has been since arriving here. He has Edward in his arms, who's wrapped tightly in a wool blanket that the paramedics gave him, and he's rocking from foot to foot, probably to keep Edward calm in all this chaos. I can't make out anything he's saying, but his lips are moving, saying something to my brother, maybe even singing to him.

"Probably two minutes before you did. As I said, I was on the phone with him when it happened and he was already on his way." I sigh, glancing over my shoulder towards the bakery, where men and women in uniforms are coming and going.

"Can you think of anything else?" I can't seem to un-jumble the mess my head is currently in, trying for the life of me to piece together any other important information about the events, but I come up empty. I shake my head, dropping my gaze to the ground, staring at nothing but asphalt and my sneakers.