⪻ 29 ⪼

Chapter Song: Don't Lose Sight by Lawrence

Wednesday, 30 October 2019

⪻⪻⪼⪼

It's not like books describe it, being in a sort of coma, at least not for me. There was no out of body experience, I didn't see my parents in some sort of limbo between heaven and earth, I didn't even dream. It was just darkness, complete and utter darkness from what I can remember. I hated it, even though at the time I don't even remember it.

And waking up whilst drugged up was definitely an experience, one that I've gone through before, but this time it seemed completely different. Everything was hazy and the words people were saying almost went in one ear and out the other.

"How are you feeling?" His smile is soft, voice even softer as he looks at me through his thick curled lashes. I've never been so thankful to be in his presence than now. But the question is quite loaded for my pounding head.

Did he mean mentally and emotionally, because if I'm being honest I just feel rather numb and foggy. Or did he mean physically? Because the answer would be: I feel like shit. My arm hurts, my head hurts worse, my hip is sore, but my side... it's even worse than my head. The mere thought of my head has me taking a calming deep breath. I can't believe that there's something sticking out of my skull, something that I can't see or touch. I'm doing my absolute best not to move my head at all, not wanting to feel the sensation that Liam said I may feel if I accidentally tug on the cord. Rest assured I'd be doing no tugging or moving.

"Sleepy." I settle on, trying to keep my breathing level. The minor work of me simply inhaling causes me more pain than is imaginable.

"I know, baby." Harry lightly chuckles, his face a shade of golden yellow from the dim light in the room. The nurses say it's to reduce the stimuli in the room, which I'm very appreciative of. I can't imagine the headache I'll have when it's morning.

"Bit annoyed with you though." I breathe out, allowing my eyes to fall shut. I hear Harry breathe out a laugh and I can only imagine him shaking his head.

"Are you now?" A smirk crosses my chapped lips as I flutter my eyes open, my irises meeting his at my bedside. There's a look of mischief behind his tired eyes and a hint of guilt. "Well, I guess I'm just going to have to make it up to you for the rest of my life." I exhale a laugh, immediately regretting that motion when the stinging pain in my ribs echoes loudly throughout my body. Immediately, Harry jolts to his feet, hands hovering over me as though they'd break me if he were to touch me.

"Don't laugh, baby. Shhh-" he shushes, settling a gentle hand on my unscathed hand at my side farthest from his stance. "Are you feeling much pain?"

"It hurts-"

"Where?" Now, he's concerned, the crease between his brows deep.

"Everywhere." I grit honestly.

Harry stands from the chair he's sat in at my bedside and hits the small red call button at my side. He's very attached to that button, having now pushed it for the third time since I've been awake. If he were on the other side of the call button I'd have no doubt he'd be annoyed, but who am I to tell him off.