⪻ 20 ⪼

Chapter Song: Our Song by Niall Horan & Anne-Marie

Saturday, 5 October 2019

⪻⪻⪼⪼

Things had cooled down tremendously since the break-in, nearly three months ago. The perpetrators hadn't been caught yet, which did cause me tremendous unease, but with Harry's reassurance and my frequent visits to my psychiatrist, I'm feeling better. The police were confident that my case had been related to the string of business robberies before my break-in, but things have been quiet in our area since. According to the police, Edward and I - and the media presence of our break-in - must have really spooked them.

Although for a time my anxiety was through the roof after the sun went down or if Harry wasn't by my side and I had frequent nightmares, I preserved through that pain. I feel better as the days go by. Time does heal; I can't explain it, but it does. Every day I feel better and better and whilst I'm not back to feeling as good as I did before the break-in, I do feel good.

We had to close the bakery temporarily there for a while. It was the easiest option to get the place cleaned, fixed, and for us to prepare for when business did pick back up. I even enhanced our security, well more like Harry called a guy and paid him way too much money for a rather complex, but effective security system.

I'd also taken a step back from working at the bakery as much as I had been, at least for the time being. I'm no longer working six days a week, more like four and a half, that's saying something for me, and I don't work past six in the evening. If I have to stay late, someone always stays with me, whether it be Ian, Jack, Niall - if the promise of Ruby's presence was assured, or even Harry. I feel so grateful for having such amazing people in my life.

Edward is making strides too. I swear I didn't let him out of my sight for a week and I know for a fact he slept with us for a good two weeks. He was suffering from nightmares of the night too, usually settling down once Harry or I had held him for long enough. It took a toll on both Harry and me, seeing him like this. It hurt me, even more, knowing that it was my fault, even though I've been assured multiple times that it wasn't. Edward started seeing my psychiatrist too and she's been tremendous in helping him get over this hurdle. His birthday and his party are definitely something that's been keeping his mind off of things too.

He's been so excited and so have I, but it's only natural that things don't go quite to plan, not in our family. We've been planning tremendously for his special birthday party... only for me to fall sick on the actual day of.

It's safe to say that I didn't intend to spend Edward's birthday "weekend" sick, but my body had other plans. I knew as soon as I woke up in the middle of the night with slight stomach cramps and a cold sweat that today was going to suck and also that I had probably gotten food poisoning. I guess nice restaurants can sometimes fail to cook fish in a safe manner.