⪻ 04 ⪼

Chapter Song: Treat People With Kindness by Harry Styles

Monday, 22 April 2019

⪻⪻⪼⪼

"... and that's why you should always study hard in school."

Who knew being an accountant could be so exciting... note the sarcasm. I mean, no hate, but thinking about sitting behind a desk all day crunching numbers sounds like the least appealing thing on the planet. For me, I'd rather do my maths by measuring ingredients for sweets, but again that's just me. More power to the people who actually enjoy maths, numbers, and equations.

"Thinking of changing career paths?" A husky voice whispers in my ear after a bony elbow meets my ribs. My eyes roll instinctively as I clap for the dad that's just got done with his ten-minute spiel on numbers and why a job in accounting is "cool". No offence to him, but accounting seems like the least cool thing on the planet.

"Maths was never my thing," I say, deeply exhaling through my nose as I give Harry's hand a firm squeeze, resting our joined hands on his scrub-clad thigh.

Harry, Edward, I have been so excited for today to come for the last few days. Edward hasn't stopped talking about today since he asked Harry to accompany us. According to the small boy, he thinks we're both cool, way cooler than any of his mates' parents, and can't wait to show us off. He's still saddened by the fact that he couldn't have mum and dad be here with him but is still happy that Harry and I can step up. In any case, Edward has been non-stop on our cases about what we're going to say, how we're going to dress, and what we're (me) going to bring. He begged Harry to wear his scrubs and for me to bring sweets, so luckily he was pleasantly surprised by our clothing choices and special treats.

"You nervous?"

"Of course I'm not nervous. It's a room full of seven and eight-year-olds and their parents, what's to be nervous about?" It's clear in my tone that I'm being far from truthful, as sad as it is.

I can't explain it, but for some reason, my heart is practically beating out of my chest. Speaking in front of crowds in a formal setting has never been my thing, even in front of small crowds. Ask me to give a quick set of words to everyone in my bakery and I'm golden... ask me to talk to children and parents and I guess that's a completely different story. I want to make Edward proud, but what if I'm not as good as all of these other parents. They're accountants, professors, firemen and police, there's even a footballer - and I'm just a lowly bakery with a neurosurgeon for a fiance. He's the one that everyone will fuss over.

"I love you." I hear whispered into my ear before his familiar heart-shaped lips make contact with my cheek briefly. Somehow the man can see right through me when I'm lying and still make me feel like everything's okay. "You're gonna do ace."

"Thank you again for sharing with the class, Mr Patterson!" My body practically jumps away from Harry as if we're teens and we've just been caught making out in the school halls when I hear the shrill voice of Edward's teacher. From the corner of my eye, I see Harry trying not to laugh as he rolls his bottom lip in between his pearly teeth, his hands parted from mine to clap for the last presenter. This time I'm the one to nudge him in the ribs. "Next up, we have Edward's sister, Annabelle." Oh God, "Edward, would you like to introduce your sister?"