⪻ 06 ⪼

Song Chapter: All My Friends by Dermot Kennedy

Wednesday, 15 May 2019

⪻⪻⪼⪼

It's been a fairly quiet day up until this moment, and I'm not one to complain about that. After another more than hectic day at the bakery yesterday, I'm happy for some relative peace and quiet for more than a few hours. Granted a day with Edward is anything but quiet, but it is a nice contrast to my days at the bakery.

I'm all tuckered out on the couch after a gruelling day under the sun playing football with Edward. I'm learning far too quickly that I might need to start making time for the gym or adding something more athletic in my life so I can get into a bit better shape. I'm due to find a wedding dress in a few weeks time and I could shed a kilo or two. Overall I'm fairly healthy, aside from my love of sweets and being sedentary on my off days, but I'd feel a bit better about myself if I weighed just a few kilograms less - and that's on body image issues folks.

Either way, I don't have the stamina of an eight-year-old any more, that's for sure. Edward was running circles around me and I was left panting and sweating profusely, no doubt looking like a lunatic. On the bright side, my skin did get a nice golden hue to it from the blazing summer sun, which is more than I can say I get lying on the couch on my "usual" days off.

It'd been a solid eleven days since my last true day off. When you open your own business, conventional hours and days off are a foreign idea. Summer birthdays are aplenty here in Manchester, so the demand for customized cakes and treats is excessive. Plus, I guess with all the kids out of school their parents think that cookies, cupcakes, and any other sweet treat you can think of are a good distraction for their little ones. Not that I blame them, the number of times I've bribed Edward with a cookie just to give me some privacy is fairly high. Nevertheless, the demand of me being in the bakery outweighs the want of me curling up in my house with the air con on blast and a nice book.

Harry's been busy as well, seemingly working double the amount of shifts at the hospital than usual. Honestly, if it weren't for our frequent texts and the occasional talk on the phone, I'd think he was missing. I don't think we've crossed paths in a solid three days. It's worrisome to most, including me, but it's what I signed up for when I got involved with a surgeon and decided to open my own business.

The incessant knocking of someone's fists against our flat door has my eyes shooting wide open from where they had supposedly fallen shut. Apparently, Wreck-it-Ralph can't keep my attention for very long when I'm as tuckered out as I am. Edward looks up from where he's lying on the floor in front of the telly and back at me as if silently asking if I'm going to get that. Reluctantly, I pull myself to my feet, cursing the person at the door for their existence.

"Alright, alright, knock it off. Bloody hęll." I grumble to myself, willing the person at the other door shut up and be patient for one second. This person better be dying or I'll be thoroughly peeved. Without glancing through the peephole, I pull the door open, only to be met with someone far too cheery for my liking right now. "What are you doing here?"