⪻ 26 ⪼

Chapter Song: Die Alone by FINNEAS

Same Day

⪻⪻⪼⪼

"Stay with me, Belle! C'mon baby. Belle!"

It's all happening in slow motion, watching her dull eyes fall shut and her grip on my hand loosening until the only thing holding us together is my own fist. I plead for her to wake up, but eventually, I see it's not worth it. She's succumbed to the severity of her pain and the drugs flowing through her system. I'm ordering the paramedics to give me a rundown on her conditions and injuries, even though I won't be the one working on her. I just need to know the extent, I can't go into this blind.

My head is completely empty, my knowledge and training having flown out of the window as soon as the ambulance pulled up. I'm no longer a doctor, but a meek fiancé in full panic mode as I watch my girl fall into a fully unconscious state.

Seeing her so pitiful, bruised, and battered tears my heart out of my chest and makes me want to vomit. Her right arm is in bad shape. Her shoulder clearly dislocated with her clavicle bone jetting out in a way it's not supposed to. The lower your eyes fall on her arm, the worse it gets. Her elbow is near twice the size it should be and her forearm is already reddened and bruising. It doesn't take being a doctor to know that it's most likely broken. Although broken arms and dislocated shoulders can be serious, it's her hip and pelvis area I'm worried about. From the bruising and tenderness on her lower side alone, I fear she's at least cracked her pelvic bone, or worse completely broken it. Don't get me started on the large profusely bleeding bump on the side of her head.

"Annabelle, c'mon baby, stay with me."

As if someone has been controlling time, everyone's pace seems to pick back up to normal as we rush through the A&E. Our general trauma surgeon had been notified whilst Annabelle was in the ambulance and is already being scrubbed in for surgery. Her intake emergency exam will be held in the OR, her injuries so severe there's no time for any pit stops. We need her looked at from head to toe.

"Styles!" Liam is at my side as soon as we reach him standing outside the surgery hall, his feet carrying him to run alongside the gurney. My brain catches up with my mouth as I spout her vitals, my main concerns, and some unnecessary demands towards his body behind mine.

"Her head, Liam. She's bleeding externally, but there's so much swelling."

"You have to wait in the waiting room, mate."

"She was conscious just a few moments ago, but just lost consciousness. There's tenderness and a bump on her right parietal, but I can't see any blood."

"Styles." There's a tug on my wrist and it takes everything in me not to turn around and throw a fist in the direction of Liam. "Don't fight me, Styles. I will take care of it. Dave will assess her other injuries and I'll check her head, but you can't go in there." We've stopped moving, the doors to the OR ahead of us.