⪻ 17 ⪼

Chapter Song: Breath of Life by Florence + The Machine

Friday, 12 July 2019

⪻⪻⪼⪼

Do I throw myself into my work so much that it sometimes comes back and bites me in the bum? Yes, yes I do.

"You've reached one exhausted baker and her little assistant, how can we assist you this fine evening?" I'm barely able to finish my greeting without a contagious yawn escaping from my lips. I guess this is what I get for working a nearly fourteen-hour day, plus having to multitask and watch Edward for half that time.

"Hmmm, I'm calling to inquire whether my beautiful fiancé and her brother would like to be picked up anytime soon. It's nearing nine o'clock and they said they'd call no later than seven." His playful tone does little to hide the speck of worry in his voice, which has me cursing as soon as I peek at the time on my laptop.

I did tell him we'd be done no later than seven-fifteen, but then I sent Ruby and Jack home early because it's a Friday night and who am I to keep them from their loved ones on a Friday night. I also had to finish counting our profits for the day, storing the petty cash, and trying to schedule everyone for two weeks time, so staying behind was only natural. Truth be told, I didn't need to work on the schedule tonight, it just needed to be completed by Monday morning, but I figured if I did it now I wouldn't have to worry about it tomorrow or Sunday. It was either crank it out tonight or reluctantly do it last minute; if you ask me it's better to just rip the plaster off and get it done early.

If Harry hadn't have called just now, I doubt Edward or I would even notice the time. The kid is too busy with whatever video he's watching on his tablet and I've been staring at my own monitor for far too long to notice that the sun has set.

It'd been around two weeks since our weekend getaway and a week since our night out with our friends. I'm happy to be back at work and keeping busy, but that doesn't mean I don't miss my alone time with Harry. Unfortunately, holidays end and people have to go back to their normal lives eventually. We can't all go on frequent romantic holidays or go out drinking 'til the AM with mates every night.

We had promptly returned to work and were both busy, busy bees. Business had yet again picked up, if at all possible, so the majority of my waking hours were spent in the confines of my bakery. This week we had four weddings to cater cakes and other treats to and next weekend we have three more. I'm just glad I have two days off before the chaos begins all over again. The long and tiring days offer little to no time with Harry, aside from a cheeky visit here or there. And I'm thankful that I can have Edward around some of the time, but I just wish Harry could be with us too.

"Crap, I completely lost track of time." I groan, my eyes meeting the time stamp on my laptop. The day really had passed by in the blink of an eye. "I'm sorry, Harry. I'm finishing up some scheduling right now and then I'll be done. I promise."