27

"Please, exit with caution. I do not wish for another tragedy to happen..."

"I'm sure we'll be fine! The train is almost here, come on Roguefort!"

"Thank you, Blueberry Pie Cookie..."

"It was a pleasure having you here. I am glad you had fun in the different tomes."

The two brothers exited the Archives, the shield of the ancient library wearing off as they re-entered the City of Wizards.

The first few steps, nothing happened.

The sky was clear, the birds were chirping, the essence of magic still bright in the air.

But the silence was suffocating.

It was too peaceful to be true.

And just as the thought slipped into Roguefort's mind, lightning struck next to Almond, making him yelp in surprise.

"Caramel?!"

"I'm fine, must have been unlucky. Let's go, the train's waiting for us."

"And so is your doom, petty Cookies."

More lightning rained from the skies, and as the magic powder formed a barrier once more, Roguefort knew that his sister was back, with reinforcements.

Reinforcements from the City of Wizards.

He knew he had to run, to get out as soon as possible, for once time was not on their side, they would be separated once more.

He would return to a forced life of crime, and Almond would be the one tracking his every move.

As if they had never known each other, and as if they couldn't just end the misunderstanding of their ancestors once and for all.

Like shards of broken glass, the barrier was dissipated in no time.

"Get them."

What seemed like thousands of mages charged at the two Cookies, who were running for their lives, frantically rushing towards the train station.

Thousands more spells rained from the sky: lightning, rain, flames.

Every step seemed to grow heavier and heavier for Almond and Roguefort, and soon the mages caught up.

"You won't get away so easily."

One stepped in front of the two, and Roguefort yanked Almond's arm, leading him out of the way.

Another came, and the dodging continued.

Their hats had fallen off, and their jackets were being torn apart bit by bit.

It was not long before they were faced with all the wizards, all in front of them.

They were surrounded.

And yet, their grip on each other held firm.

"Well, well, there we go, that was easier than expected."

"What do we do?"

Mozza emerged from the crowd of magicians, her knife in hand, masquerade mask still on.

"Roguefort. This behavior is unacceptable. Let us return back."

"I will never follow you back!"

"You know this is our fate. A clear path sits in front of you, and there is no other way."

"Even so! I will carve my own path, even in the harshest weather, no matter how hard it is! I will never play your part!"

Almond felt warm.