22

"Roguefort...? Are you okay?"

The door creaked, and Almond peeked through the small gap.

The room wasn't big, but Almond felt like he was thousands of miles away from Roguefort, curled up in a ball looking at the scenery outside.

Knowing he should proceed cautiously, Almond stepped inside the room.

"Uh- I'm sorry I didn't ask you beforehand about the visit..."

Roguefort did not answer.

"We can go another time if you're comfortable with that. We aren't in a rush-"

"I know, Almond, I know...but I'm terrified."

Roguefort turned to face Almond, the both now catching each other's expression: Almond had worry plastered all over his face while Roguefort just seemed down in the dumps.

Terror started to creep into Roguefort's face.

"I'm scared my family will launch another attack again, On that day, when Mozza picked me up and stared- if looks could kill, I'd long be dead. When we ran, all the things I saw; people getting robbed, Cookies injured and wounded all over town...and it was all to find me...should I just go back to stop all this madness? Am I really destined for a life of crime?"

"No, it's not your fault."

Almond walked over to the balcony and held his friend's hand.

"Look, you didn't choose to be born into this, it's your family that's making these horrible attacks. And even if you went back, it would do nothing good- you'd just be there, forced to orchestrate these robberies, commit these crimes- the traditions, the rivalry would just continue. But, you're here."

Roguefort was staring at Almond, still unsure about what he'd do next.

"You're here- it makes all the difference. I really, really believe we can find a way to break the rivalry. Both of us together, here. Trust me, while I don't mind going to the Archives later, we can go there, find the truth, and everything will return back to normal-"

"Almond. What is...normal?"

Taken aback by those words, Almond couldn't reply.

What was normal?

Their lives previously, before all of this, were not "normal" at all.

Getting a private tutor for one's entire education was not "normal".

Learning how to wield a weapon was not "normal".

Not allowed in the streets was not "normal".

It was at that moment Almond realised...

...that their lives had never been "normal".

~~

"How could she fail? Simply retrieving a single Cookie, such an easy task!"

"Cheddar. You may have sent her to retrieve one Cookie, but that Cookie is friends with...the descendant of one of the most powerful families in the Main City. That makes the task no longer easy, but rather a hard challenge."

"Mozza is also the most skilled Cookie- no, the most skilled thief in the Main City."

"And yet she is sent to face them. Alone. I can't believe you forced her to go by herself. A Cookie, however highly skilled, will always fall against too many opponents."

"There were only two opponents- Roguefort isn't even properly trained."

"The armed forces? What makes you think that the Nuts didn't properly train their son? With all odds considered, her chances of winning were extremely slim."