Bonus: Tales from the Timekeeper

The venue was glowing with excitement.

The Cookies were glowing, the mics were shimmering, and the one stood next to Roguefort had golden hair, almost...luminescent in some kind of legendary way.

The place was filled to brim with joy, and Roguefort loved it; it was a great contrast with the suspenseful, dangerous situations he'd always been in.

Cookie of the Year was a yearly tradition; cookies from all around Earthbread came to the Main City to participate, and Cookies who didn't get to be selected got to vote for their favourite Cookie.

There were rumours, too, that the witches that baked them cast votes as well, but none of the Cookies could really testify that without risking their lives.

Roguefort had been a finalist for two years in a row, ever since he was accepted into the brackets, and he valued the spotlight, though he wished he didn't have to put on the thief facade to get here.

Nevertheless, he knew he had support from people, even if they were just charmed; it gave him even more strength to keep playing the part.

"Sea Fairy Cookie! Roguefort Cookie! You're here twice in a row!"

Gingerbrave, the master of ceremonies for the Cookie of the Year Awards, welcomed the charming thief that dazzled the streets of the Main City and the creator of the Tower of Frozen Waves onto the stage.

"Thank you. It is with the warmth of everyone's hearts that gives me the strength to continue."

"Such an honor!"

Roguefort continued the dialogue in a singsong voice.

"Though I value everyone's smiles more than some fancy prize!" 

"Oh, Roguefort Cookie! I found a time where you find your long lost heirloom. Care to join me there?"

Roguefort stared at the Cookie in front of him, the Cookie that could manipulate time and space.

Something seemed familiar about her, the hair, the way she spoke...

It all reminded him of one single Cookie, one that he hadn't seen in years, one whose gaze had shook him to the core.

Plus, the heirloom, could it be...?

He remained silent, though, as he could not let the disguise slip, not in such a place filled to the brim with joy.

It was an unspoken obligation, to play his part as the alluring thief of the City, a thing that couldn't be reversed.

"Timekeeper Cookie! We talked about this!"

Croissant Cookie, Timekeeper Cookie's counterpart from this universe, cut off Roguefort's thoughts.

"You can't just change time for fun anymore!"

Timekeeper Cookie shrugged, seeming nonchalant.

"It was merely a suggestion."

~~

The party had ended; the confetti was sprinkled messily on the floor, and the stage was collapsed thanks to Ananas Dragon Cookie's power. Roguefort stood outside the venue, lost in thought and waiting for the snowstorm raging to end.

He had been one of the top Cookies, nearly winning Cookie of the Year, but at what cost?

The cost of losing friends?

The cost of severed sibling bonds?

The cost of his own reputation?

"So, are you willing to come with me to find your heirloom, Roguefort Cookie?"

As the words fell out of the Cookie's mouth, the snow simply...stopped. It stayed midair. The wind, blowing against the door, also froze in place.

Timekeeper Cookie stood in front of the thief, who was totally taken aback by the sudden confrontation.

"What do you mean by a heirloom...?"

"There is no need to hide from me, I know all that has happened through time. Do you not have an answer in your heart already?"

Almond?

The memories of his friend's last moments, the badge, the visit to Cookieland, the reveal at the Archives, their separation at the City of Wizards, all flashed through Roguefort's mind.

As if she could read the conflicted Cookie's mind, the one who could control time and space replied immediately.

"To be specific, the bond between you two, which was inevitably split by death."

Timekeeper Cookie circled the Cookie, still lost in his memories of his friend long gone.

"You know, I could just create a time rift that can bring you to your memories, do you not? Or, I could bring you to a timeline where it never happened, or you could have a second chance at your life if I were to reset the time here! And maybe...you would be able to save him."

The chase with Mozzarella Cookie in the Main City. Collapsing on the couch completely drained in the Nuts' mansion. Mozza's deathly glare that would kill if looks could.

It all echoed in his mind, fresh memories that seemed to never fade, even if many things had changed and had been lost in the flow of time.

Feeling too overwhelmed to make a rational decision, Roguefort moved on to the elephant in the room; the all-too-familiar resemblance between his long gone sister and the powerful Cookie in front of him.

"...Do you know where my sister is?"

"Changing the subject, I see? Don't you remember she was pronounced missing shortly after you had your debut in the Blue Cheese Manor?"

"I know that."

"So why did you ask? She didn't disappear just for you to find her again, especially after you said all that in the garden of the Blue Cheese manor."

"You know where she is...so where is she now?"

"She could be anywhere," Timekeeper Cookie shrugged, "she could be working in disguise at the Happy Healthy Hamlet, going on rides in the Pumpkin Land of Fear, or taking a vacation at the Faraway Ocean."

"Or even, she could be talking to you right now."

With that, Timekeeper Cookie opened a time rift with her scissors, sitting on the giant blades while floating in the nothingness of time.

"You're my sister...?"

"Well, well, that's up for you to discover, dear Cookie!" Timekeeper teased in a sing-song voice, reminding Roguefort of his own disguised voice.

"Remember, my offer still stands, just call out for me and I'll come get you!"

Time resumed as Timekeeper Cookie disappeared into the time rift, leaving Roguefort in the cold winter air, outside the hall that was once full of energy, now abandoned just as he was.

~~

That's it! This chapter is set before the epilogue, so Roguefort hasn't reunited with Almond yet...

Thank you all, sincerely, so much. It's been a wild ride.

If you'd like to see more of my work, feel free to follow me here on Wattpad or on Instagram (enchantedcocoa)! 

And, well, see you soon!