14

"Roguefort, the book teleported to the Archives. Blueberry Pie's there, and she needs us both to get there."

"Blueberry Pie? That serious Cookie that confronted us while we got the Apple Bear Jellies?"

"Yeah, her. We need to find a day to get there. Will you be alright on Sunday?"

"I think it'll be fine."

"Alright, bye."

Almond ended the call and wrote the day down. He'd been assigned to investigate a crime scene in Buttercream Choco's mansion - apparently, an emerald had been stolen from there, and he had to go soon.

Buttercream had specifically asked Almond since they knew each other and Almond had been there before.

He swiped his bag from the table, put on his cap and met his mom at the door, his mother already neatly disguised so she wouldn't be recognised.

Almond was just half-known by the public thanks to the scene after camp, so he wore a mask and cap as opposed to a full-on disguise.

"Another call with Roguefort?"

"Yeah, let's go."

The mother and son hopped into the car, Cashew at the steering wheel and Almond beside her. Cashew started the engines and drove off.

"We're planning to reveal you to the public when you turn 18. We actually planned to tell you the truth then and reveal you at 20, but certain events made it impossible."

"Well, it isn't your fault that Mozzarella and Gouda decided to strike early. The letter from dad explained it."

"Right...What's done is done. Now, your first investigation! I believe you've learnt a lot just from mock scenes. You should be fine."

"You'll help me, right?"

"If you need help. I think this is one of the easiest cases to start. Just an emerald."

"Mom, emeralds cost a lot. You make it sound as worthless as an eggplant."

"Almond dear, when you're used to investigating limited-edition jewels and exhibits worth millions of dollars, just an emerald isn't much."

"Wow, you're really a top detective, huh?"

"Well, I come from the best detective family after all. And I'm your mom. What did you expect?"

~~

"Charisma? I have to work on that?"

"Obviously. You spend too much time on your phone."

"How am I supposed to even work on that?"

"Learn. Watch some famous charismatic people online. Improve."

"Then I need my phone for that!"

The father and son were bickering again.

What was originally meant to be a simple training session ended up being another argument between the two Cookies.

No one else was at home. The other two Cookies in the family were out on another mission...or as one would say, committing another crime.

"You have good equipment, much better training grounds than so many more Cookies. Why won't you put some passion in it?"

"I never agreed to be in this family! Can you not treat this as a hobby?! I'm defying the law because you told me to!"

"Enough of that, Roguefort. You need to practice! You'll never be like me because of your stupid promise to never kill anyone."