11

"So, try to take this fake wallet from me without me noticing."

"Alright."

Roguefort and Cheddar are in one of the family's training rooms, stocked with weapons of all kinds, the walls soundproof and bulletproof vests lining up closets.

It's been three days since Roguefort returned; he'd been forced to learn malicious ways to commit crimes ever since his mother suggested he become a thief on the day he returned.

"With that face of yours, perhaps you'd be able to steal more than just jewels," she had told Roguefort before his father had ushered him to a training room where he learned basic hand-to-hand combat.

Roguefort had spent the past 3 days trying to figure out what his mother meant but to no avail.

Cheddar starts walking around the room just as a normal Cookie would to on their way to work, looking at his phone and scrolling over the news.

"Hm, the detective's funeral will be on this Sunday. How funny, that's exactly on the day after the first week..."

Roguefort stopped in his tracks, his eyes widening in shock.

Sunday?

But that was the day he was supposed to go to Buttercream Choco's house!

"Hm?"

As if Cheddar had a third eye, he knew Roguefort had stopped walking, and he turned around. "Why'd you stop?"

"Sunday's supposed to be the day I go to Buttercream Choco's..."

"And what about it? You're just going there to play games, aren't you? Or are you there for another reason?"

He looked at Roguefort suspiciously and Roguefort knew that he goofed up - he wasn't supposed to tell his father Almond would be there!

Frantically, his brain tried to come up with a believable reason. Surprisingly, he managed to sound calm before saying, "Buttercream Choco knows the Nuts, and he'll probably be attending the funeral as well. I think that means it's cancelled..."

Cheddar still eyed Roguefort suspiciously before turning back to his phone.

"Alright then, you needn't have that distract you from training. After all, a persona is not easy to create."

~~

"You have to cancel the meeting?!"

Buttercream Choco's voice rang through the mobile phone, Almond calming himself from the loud noise before replying, "Sunday's the only day all my relatives are free. It's also the closest day I have thanks to Cookie traditions."

"Aw, come on! That was supposed to be the climax of our big story where we finally uncover what in the Cookie World was that book!"

"Buttercream Choco, what's been said has been said, I'm not coming and without me, it would be pointless. Help me tell Roguefort, I'm busy. Goodbye."

"Wait, hold on-"

Almond presses the end call button on his mobile phone.

He is still surrounded by notes and papers - invitations he has to make to invite Pecan's closest friends, various departments of the government(his father was a well-respected detective of the law after all), print-outs of Cookie traditions of funerals that he was never taught...

It was all just a huge workload for him, but he crawled on for his mother even with this big boulder on his back, for he believed it was time to repay her for her hard work over the years.