Epilogue

"Can't even get a coffee break..."

Almond was exhausted.

This was his daily routine; waking up and starting his day fresh, prim and proper and ending the day of never-ending cases with his hair messed up by some spell from a careless Parfaedian Institute student, his shirt dyed a random shade of the rainbow with magical stains, and his Almond Handcuffs slowly getting worn out.

He'd have to ask the local blacksmith for a repairment spell.

And yet, he kept going, for his loyalty to Parfaedia was so strong he felt as if he was eternally indebted to the city.

After all, they had given him a new chance at living; from the most powerful mages to the youngest academy students, all of them had participated in the spell one way or another, just to revive him from...something.

Even though he had visited the Main City multiple times, he had never figured out what it was that he was saved from.

Disease?

Betrayal?

His mother, Cashew, had tried to tell him, but all he heard when she mentioned it was incoherent mumbling sounds.

Perhaps it was a side effect of the spell. Either way, he had no intention to know, after so many years-

"Sir- Detective Almond!"

Almond's apprentice from Magical Emergency Handling came running to him, panting.

Clearly, he was not as fit for the job, but his passion had made Almond take him in nonetheless.

"What is it?"

The apprentice only handed him a letter.

"It's from Cashew Cookie. It read private and confidential, so I didn't open it."

Quickly, Almond ripped open the envelope and pulled the sheet of paper within it, nearly dropping the letter in the process.

"You can go, kid." he reminded the young Cookie before he started reading.

"Understood, sir."

~~

Dear Almond,

I know you are burdened with work in Parfaedia. I do not blame you for choosing to remain there, as I know a fraction of your memories, the ones that would have caused you to stay, are still lost in the flow of magic. But please, remember that I am here for you. As well as your daughter, Walnut.

Whose safety I deeply concern, which is why I must write to you today.

Recently, the famous painter Butter Pretzel Cookie's work has been stolen from the Hors d'Oeuvre Museum. Curator Emmental Cheese has asked me to help investigate, but my health is no longer as stable as before, and I cannot take up this case.

While I could hand this over to other detectives, I believe that you are the perfect candidate for the investigation - Walnut would jump at any chance of investigating a case, but I fear this is too much for her, as many of the initial suspects are quite...dangerous.

I know she will found out about this soon enough; she is quite intelligent.

I do not want to take the risk of losing her as well. Not everyone is as lucky as you, to be resurrected after death.

So, I hope you will take up this case. Consider this a commission, even.

It will be best if you can contact me as soon as possible, so we can make arrangements for you to return to the Main City.