Misplaced

I've hidden the sword within my room for now. I can't let the others know that I have it, not yet. Artemis has promised not to say a word, and today seems like a good day, so I'm managing to not worry too much at the moment. I'm ignoring it very well right now. I'm with Kaldur, my hands around his arm as we watch Connor and Megan walk out of the bioship. "Did you get everything?" Batman asks. "Everything on your list, Batman, plus groceries." Megan answers, setting the two boxes down.

Wally runs up to the boxes. "Cookie fixins?" He asks. "Snickerdoodles." "Babe, you rock my world." I roll my eyes at Wally as I help to unload the two crates Connor just set down, being careful not to set on Phyrix as he runs around. "Dad!" I hear after a crash. I look over. Batman, Zatara and Tornado are all gone. "What happened?" I ask. "T-They just disappeared!" Zatanna exclaims.

"Don't worry. We'll figure out what happened." I tell her. I look over to Kaldur. He nods. We all head to the training arena and the others start working. KF, Miss M and Superboy have all gone to help in adjacent cities. I look things over, reading different parts of what Robin and Zatanna are pulling up. "We've set up a refugee center at the high school gym. Any luck with-" Wally's interrupted by Robin. "No. Can't raise the Batcave, the Hall of Justice or the watch... or any adult hero, even Red Arrow." "Guess we're on our own. Kid Flash out." Kid turns off his comm.

"Traditional media's offline but kids worldwide are all posting the same thing. Every adult, 18 or older has disappeared. The sorcery necessary to pull this off... scary big." "And we need you to find its source." Robin tells Zatanna. I get a feeling in my stomach. I end up leaving the room, walking into the living room area to sit down and cool my head.

"Esmeralda? Are you okay?" I hear Kaldur ask, kneeling in front of me. "I've got a sick feeling in my stomach, Kaldur. I don't like this." I sit up, looking straight at him as I realize something, my eyes grow wide. "Oh no." "What?" He asks. "If it's all the adults, 18 and older, yet I'm still here, then it must mean physically older. My brother, in human years, is the physical age of 19. He's where all the adults are. If I'm not there to stop him, he could annihilate at least half of the Justice League. He's stronger than me by farther than even I can remember, but I'm the only one who knows his weaknesses. I'm the only one who can fight him." I hide my face in my hands.

"Esmeralda, we'll figure this out, and we'll stop your brother. It will be okay, I promise." He says. I feel better, but the feeling is still there. I sigh, taking off my mask. "Thank you, Kaldur. That does help." I peck his lips. He pulls me up with him. "Come, we need to send word out to the kids across the world." He tells me. I nod, placing my mask over my eyes once more. We walk back over to the training area, and we start the video. I stand right behind him.

"Attention, children and teenagers of Earth. I am Aqualad. These are my friends, Robin, Dracona and Kid Flash." "We are using Justice League tech to cast and stream to every TV, radio, computer, and smartphone on the planet." "We know you must be scared and angry. We know, with your parents missing there's a temptation to run wild. But, please, stay calm." Robin and Kid continue after Kaldur.

I speak up. "We will find a way to bring the adults back but for now, the oldest among you must step up. Take care of your younger siblings. Take care of kids who have no one. Protect them." "It is up to you. Please, help in any way you can." Kaldur finishes, and we cut the video off. I take a breath, turning. "Let's hope that Zatanna can perform the spell."

I go over into the souvenir room. Kid is already there, staring at the helmet. "Do you ever miss them?" Kid asks. I look over at him. "Your parents." He clarifies. I look back at the helmet. "Despite what my father did to punish me when I was younger, yes. But I miss my mother and little sister most." I answer. "Hmm. I never thought I'd miss mine. I never thought something like this could happen. But now... I finally understand what it's like to miss your parents. To really miss them. How do you handle that? The ache?" He asks, looking at me. "I think of them, and the memories I shared with them. How my father used to take me riding with him. How my mother used to sing me to sleep every night. When it hurts too much, I sing one of her lullabies. It's always helped me, because I know I can't ever go back. I miss them, but I'd rather not spend the rest of my life sulking." I answer.

"I finally got through to Atlantis. No adults there, either." Kaldur says, walking in. "So... just how desperate are we?" Kid asks. "I mean, this thing could definitely come in handy." "Yes, but we both know anyone who dons the helmet and allows Nabu to possess him may never be released from being Doctor Fate." Kaldur answers. "So... not that desperate." "Not yet."

"Even if we were, neither of you would be the ones to wear it." I state. "I've been searching, but so far I have yet to find the right person. So until then, if we do become that desperate, I will wear the helmet." I say. "You will not!" Kaldur is quick to protest. "Emma, no." Kid adds. I turn to them. "Guys, besides Zatanna, I am the only one who can take multiple hits from magic. I'll survive the helmet and what comes with it, better than you two. But Fate wouldn't be able to hold me for long." I look back at the helmet.

"Fate knows I have my own destiny I have to fulfill. Even if he hasn't heard yet, he'll know after I've told him. Won't Kent be surprised." I mutter the last part. "What do you mean?" Kaldur asks. I look back at him, shaking my head. "You'll find out later. Right now, we need to focus on the problem at hand." I say. "Guys?" We turn to see Zatanna at the doorway. "I-I'm ready to try my father's locator spell."