Homefront

"So you have told no one else of this, mole?" Red Tornado questions. "I cannot be sure one exists." Kaldur explains, "And if it does, if the team is being betrayed from within, I must investigate without... tipping my hand." "But perhaps we should tell Batman." I suggest. He glances at me before looking back at Red Tornado.

"Generally, the Batman expects the team to handle it's own problems, but the decision is yours." At this, I share a look with Kaldur. "I will return after monitor duty on the watchtower." He states, walking over to the Zeta-tube computers. "I thought you were exempt from monitor duty since becoming our "den mother." Kaldur comments. 'Recognized, Red Tornado, 1-6.' "I agreed to cover for Green Arrow. He has an interpersonal event with Black Canary. A 'hot date'." He explains before beaming away.

"I will never understand this world's technology." I say before looking over at Kaldur'ahm, only to see he is contemplating in his head. He sighs, before looking up at me, giving a small smile. "Come on, let's go find the others." I say, nodding my head over to the other exit. He nods, and we walk side by side. Before we can get too far though, he stops me, turning me to look at him.

"Kaldur?" I ask, confused as he gently holds my chin in place. With his other hand, he pulls off my mask, causing my grey eyes to turn to their natural red slits. He hands it to me, then takes my other hand and starts walking again. "K-Kaldur? What was that?" I ask, bewildered. "You look much prettier without your mask, Esmeralda." He states, looking forward. I blush, not being able to hide it while wearing a simple dress for the day, and placing my mask onto my side.

His grip on my hand tightens ever so slightly, and I fall back into pace alongside him, blush never leaving my face. Soon, we reach where the others are, and I go to walk in, but Kaldur stops me once again. Without saying a word, he brings my hand up to his lips, and presses a gentle kiss to it. My cheeks grow hotter with each passing second as he stares at me, a small smirk upon his face before heading in. This boy... He is confusing. Does he have any idea what he's doing to me? While I have somewhat come to terms with my feelings for Kaldur, I was still very hesitant, and still very afraid. There are so many things about it all that terrifies me, even if he likes me back.

I shake my head, snapping out of my stupor. I don't need to worry about this right now. I walk into the room, and Wally is the first person I hear speak. "Torque Wrench." I stop beside Kaldur, a confused look upon my face. "That's a word you don't hear everyday." I mutter.

M'gann uses her telekinesis to hand Wally a tool. "Thank you, Green Cheeks." I roll my eyes at the name. Kaldur takes a deep breath before saying, "I have been meaning to ask. Any problem juggling schoolwork with your responsibilities here?" "No." Superboy's answer is strong and firm.

"Juggling's just one of my many talents. Socket wrench." Wally brags, whilst still working on Superboy's bike. "Daily cheerleading practice has presented a challenge. Oh, but my first loyalty is always to the team. This team, not the bumblebees." M'gann answers. "Hmm. Good to know high school hasn't gotten to your head yet." I comment. "It'd still be much better if you were with us, Esmeralda" She tells me. I raise my hands. "I really appreciate the offer, M'gann, but it'd be better, and safer for everyone that I don't." I reply.

"Artemis starts school today." Kaldur comments. "Do you think she will have trouble maintaining her loyalties?" He asks. Just then, I hear something outside the room. I turn and walk to the door to check it out. "Nah, she'll manage alright. I mean, how much more hostile and annoying-" The whole room fills with smoke from the explosion that comes from the door, just as I'm about to open it. I go flying through the air, landing rather hard onto the ground next to Superboy and Kaldur. I sit up and attach my mask before getting up and standing a defensive position.

A wave of water comes towards us and I just barely miss it, unlike the others, before I see two figures standing where the door once was. Everyone else stands up and we all run over to attack the two unknown, and obviously hostile, intruders. Five feet away from them, I jump up to kick one in the head, and she sends a fireball at me. It hits me in the chest full force, and I hit a wall, only four feet from the ground, creating a sizable crater there. I must have hit my head rather hard. My vision starts coming in and out of focus, dizziness consuming me. 'No... Must. Help. Team...' These are my last thoughts before my vision turns black, and I'm down for the count, stuck in a crater in the wall.