Targets

I've been hiding in my room just about all day, playing with my new companion, Phyrix. He seems to like his new living space, despite the fact that it is much less spacious than out in the desert. I've only left once to get food for the both of us. He's just so cute, with his long ears, black, knowing eyes, and his short snout.

But he's not the only reason I've barely left my room. I've been avoiding facing Kaldur. On the bioship, after his memory was restored, I could feel him staring at me and Phyrix, although I never looked over at him. And since we got back from Bialya, since the others told him about how I practically stayed by his side and carried him to the bioship, I've been trying to distance myself from him. I've been leaving the room almost immediately after he enters, if not before when I hear him, and trying not to speak too much around him when I can't leave the room, pretending to be completely focused on Phyrix, or someone else.

But each time, whether I leave or not, I can feel his eyes trained on me. I keep hoping it's not because he suspects that I'm avoiding him, but deep down, I know that he is aware that I am. As far as I know, though, he has yet to figure out why I am doing so. Artemis has noticed this as well, and asked me about it once, having barged into my room in order to get the answer out of me.

"You're overreacting, Esmeralda. Kaldur's not gonna hurt you. You don't need to be afraid." She told me. "It's not just that I'm afraid of him hurting me, Artemis," I told her. "He likes someone else. Someone back in Atlantis." I looked away from her. She huffed, not knowing what to say, and marched out of my room.

I'm knocked out of my thoughts by the sound of someone knocking on my door. "Yes?" I call. "Dracona, would you like to say goodbye to Miss Martian and Superboy before they leave for school?" I hear the voice of Martian Manhunter ask outside my door. I think about it for a moment. Should I leave my room? What if I run into Kaldur? What if he starts talking to me?

A moment later, I'm walking out of my room, deciding that I should at least go see my friends off for their first day of school. Phyrix, who's decided he'd rather be where ever I'm at, is sitting on my shoulder, being held in place by my cloak's hood. After walking down the hall for just a moment with just Manhunter and M'gann, we are joined by Red Tornado and Kaldur'ahm. I freeze for only a second when I see him, not long enough for anyone to really notice, and quickly look down at the ground as he comes to walk beside me.

"Ready for school?" M'gann asks Superboy as we all walk into the bay landing, where Superboy is working on his bike. "I made our lunches." "The first day of a scholastic season carries great cultural resonance. We want to wish you both well." Manhunter states.

"Guess, it's not a Krypronian thing." Superboy states. I smile slightly. "You may wish to change before you depart." Kaldur offers, hesitatingly. "Ah, I spent hours choosing this outfit. What do you think?" She asks, changing into a pink skirt, a white tank top, and a pink cover shirt. "Can Megan M'orzz pass as an Earth girl now?" She asks hopefully.

"Well..." Kaldur and I both say. We look at each other, before I look back down at the ground. He stares at me for a moment longer, before looking back at Megan. "Just kidding. Meet Megan Morse." She says, twirling as her skin turns white, so that she actually does look like a human girl.

"What's your new name?" She asks Superboy. "My what?" He asks, confused. "I chose the name John Jones for myself and suggested John Smith for Red Tornado." Manhunter explains, changing so that he looked human, with dark skin, and wearing a business suit. "You could be a John, too." (Personally, when I see or hear John Smith, I think of Pocahontas. Anyone else?)

"Pass." Superboy states, rather bluntly. "Conner's always been my favorite name." Megan offers, placing her hands on his arm. He shrugs. "A last name will also be required." Kaldur comments, thinking.

"Perhaps, Kent." Manhunter offers. I smile secretly behind my hand. "Oh, in memory of Dr. Fate. The late Kent Nelson." Megan says, not getting it. I visibly flinch, and everyone turns to look at me, having all noticed one way or another. "Ah, of course." Manhunter simply states, not going to point out what he was hinting at.

"Okay. Sure." Says Superboy, "I guess it would be an honor or something." "Well, Conner Kent, time to change your shirt." Megan states. Superboy places a hand on his shirt. "You don't want to reveal your identity." She points out, before turning around. "You too, Emma. Go change so you can go to school, too. I'll go make you a lunch." I raise my eyebrow. "Since when am I going to school?" I ask.

"Well, you probably should. No one knows what you look like underneath your hood or mask, so they'll never recognize you, and it might help you loosen up a little more." Megan offers. I'm taken back at that. I sigh. Of course, they want me to open up more...

"Thanks for the offer, but it's better if I don't go to school." I state, crossing my arms. "Might I ask why?" Manhunter questions. I turn to him. "High school means drama. I don't deal with drama too well. I end up getting too angry, and you ought to remember the damage that was caused last time I lost control of my temper." I state, turning back to face Megan and... Conner. It's going to take a little bit to get used to calling him that. "And besides, I barely understand anything in this world as it is. Sending me to school would only be more confusing."

...Conner huffs, taking off his shirt in front of us all. Megan begins blushing, while I'm mentally laughing inside my head at the scene playing before me. I have my hand covering my mouth to hide my smirk. Sup- Conner flips his shirt inside-out, and asks, "Will this work?" "Words for me." Megan states dreamily.

"Wait, shouldn't I be Conner Nelson?" He asks as he turns to walk away, putting his shirt back on. "They grow up so fast." Manhunter comments as we watch them leave. Once they're gone, I start full out giggling, causing all three of the people left around me to stare in surprise. Not that I blame them, I've never laughed in front of them before.

"What are you giggling at?" Manhunter asks, incredulously. I calm myself down, finally, before answering him. "It's so obvious that she likes him. I don't know about you three, but I've known it since the moment those two met." I state, walking away.

(Hey, yall. Author-chan here. I really hope you like this one. I'll update more tomorrow. I can't stay awake anymore. Night, everyone.)