More Human

We're all standing around the table as Robin's fixing up Tornado's voice box. I'm rubbing my hands together. "There. That should do it." Robin says. "Yes. I can speak again." Tornado states, placing his cover back over his wiring.

"You were willing to sacrifice yourself to save the planet." Kaldur states, stepping forward. "The planet would have survived. It is humanity that was saved-" He turns his head. "Though not by me. My sister and brother were the true heroes this day."

"My point is this, you were never the mole, never a traitor." Kaldur says, placing his hand on Tornado's shoulder. "No." He replies, "I left to protect you from further attack and to find my creator, Morrow." "Cool. Souvenir." Wally states, holding up a mechanic hand. Robin takes out a mechanic leg. "Reddy, we can rebuild you better than you were before." Robin offers. "I do not believe I should be repaired." Tornado replies.

"Why'd you volunteer to become our den mother in the first place?" Conner asks, turning to face everyone. He's been standing away from everyone, lost in thought, ever since we came into the lab. "I was the pragmatic choice. I do not requite sleep. I have no secret identity or second life to live." He answers.

"But you do have advanced A.I. programming designed to learn, adapt, evolve." Wally comments. "Hello, M'gann." The red head states, doing that face palm thing she always does. "You wanted to become more human." "And you couldn't do that with the League. They're stiffs." Artemis adds. "You're not going to learn emotion from Batman. Trust me." Robin states. "I'll believe it." I tell him.

"Then the cave was not a proving ground only for us, but for you as well." Kaldur concludes. "I do not know if these statements are accurate, but perhaps they are true. And if I understand the term correctly, I believe I have come to... Care about you all." Red Tornado reveals. "See? Practically a meatbag already." Conner comments. "Which reminds me." Tornado says.

***

Everyone is in the bioship, and we're finally on our way home. "So, good kidnapping?" Robin asks Zatanna. "Actually, yeah. Best ever." I smirk at Kaldur. Robin is definitely crushing. "Heh. First of many, I hope." Robin states. "If my dad doesn't ground me for life." She comments. "Don't worry, Zatanna. I'm sure it won't be that bad." I state.

"Hey, Dracona. What was that you were saying about a sword, anyway?" She asks. I rub the back of my head, feeling slightly embarrassed. "Well, you see. I was gonna melt him down and turn him into a sword. Then I'd give it to my younger brother, Phillip, as sort of an apology gift for breaking his last one." I say. "How'd you do that?" She asks. I chuckle nervously. "I broke it in half with my sword one day when we were in combat training. Up until the day I left, he never let me live it down or forget it. He still won't forgive me, either. That was his favorite sword."

"So you're good at fire manipulation." Wally begins. "You're good at hand-to-hand." Robin continues. "And you can use a sword." Zatanna finishes. "What else are you hiding from us?" Artemis asks, suspiciously. I roll my eyes at her smirk. "I just so happen to be rather mediocre at throwing daggers." I state. "And what about a bow?" She asks. "Never been too good with one. That's more of my little sister's thing." I say, "But thankfully, she has yet to actually need to use that skill."

"Zatanna, before I forget. Next time you come to the cave, remind me to cook something. I happen to make a mean popcorn chicken." I tell her. She laughs, nodding.