Can I Keep Him?

Everyone's walking back to the bioship. We went all around the jungle and found each and every animal that had those collars on. We've just recently finished. I'm right behind Artemis and Kid, and I can't help but listen in to their conversation. "What are you grinning about?" She asks. "One word. Souvenir." He answers, putting on the hat that the gorilla wore. "Two words. Gorilla lice." She replies. "Huh? Oh, man! Uhh." He groans, taking it off his head and holding it out in front of him. I chuckle, walking past him. "Don't worry, I don't smell any lice on it. But you may want to wash it before you put it on again, to be safe." I tell him.

I go over and stand next to Kaldur'ahm as Captain Marvel speaks with the tiger. "That's the last of the collars?" He asks. The tiger roars in response. "And I can count on you to keep the other animals out of trouble?" The tiger roars again. "Good. I'll be back for a visit. I promise." He says, standing up. The tiger takes off running into the trees. "I think I'll call him Mr. Tawny."

I watch as the tiger runs off, then see M'gann and Connor standing by the tree line, petting the giant white wolf. "The rest of the pack is gone. What are you still doing here?" Connor asks the wolf. I walk over to them, smiling gently. "I think he wants to stay with you." Megan says. "Makes sense." I add. Both of them look at me as I lift my hand out for him to smell. He takes a sniff, then promptly licks it. "Wolves are known to be very loyal companions in my kingdom, especially in battle. And they're the best when it comes to judging character." Connor smiles like a little kid. "Can I keep him?"

Wally laughs. "First the sphere, now this beast? Dude, you sure make a habit of collectin' strays." "Maybe because he's such a stray himself." Megan replies. I smile a little wider. "Well, he's gonna need a name. Uh, how's about Krypto?" The wolf growls. "Pass." Superboy answers. "Besides, isn't that taken?" M'gann asks. I chuckle, turning around, and heading to enter the ship. I end up beside Kaldur, and we stop in front of Robin as he tells us, "Look, I need to know. Why did you keep the mole intel a secret?"

We turn around, the others coming up to hear what we have to say. Kaldur and I glance at each other, then back to the others. "The source of the tip was Sportsmaster." Kaldur tells them. "What? You can't trust him!" Artemis exclaims. "I do not. It seemed possible, even likely that he was attempting to divide the team with false information." Kaldur explained. "And given how this mission went, he nearly succeeded." Robin adds, "But you also had to consider it might be true."

"Yes. As leader, I did. In which case, I did not wish to alert the traitor." Aqualad glances at me, "Emma knew of this, and was helping me to investigate." Robin sighs. "Hate to say it, but... Makes sense." He smiles. "I am still prepared to step down." Kaldur offers.

"All in favor of keeping Aqualad as leader?" Wally asks. Everyone raises their hand. "Guess it's unanimous." Captain Marvel says, coming up to shake Kaldur's hand. "See you tomorrow." "You're not coming back with us?" Aqualad asks. "Nope, gotta fly."

I stare off to where the Captain disappears into the night sky. Suddenly, I get a sharp pain, and fall to my knees. "Esmeralda!" Kaldur exclaims, worried. I take in a ragged breath, taking off my cloak and revealing the bloody mess from the claw marks. I guess I really did strain myself too much. My injuries opened up wider, and I didn't even notice. Everyone gasps at the sight of my wounds. I ignore them, placing my hands over my heart.

"Oh, great gods above. I pray to you, asking for forgiveness for what I've done. I humbly pray that you will allow me to heal so that I may be there for those who need me." I say out loud. Slowly, I bring my hands up from my heart and breathe flames onto my palms. I kiss the base of each palm, the flames fading from orange-ish yellow to a blinding white. I place the flames over my heart. They disappear into my chest, and slowly, the tears in my skin can be seen to be slowly coming back together, healing itself.

Once that is done, I slowly, achingly, put my cloak on and stand up. I look at everyone, they're staring at me with worry. "Why so much worry, guys? I'll be fine. I just need some rest-" I don't even finish my sentence as my knees collapse, and I'm falling sideways. The last thing I remember is the feeling of arms wrapping around my waist to catch me, and a deep voice calling my name. "Esmeralda... Esmeralda!"