Soothing Heartbeats

"That far south? Megan, Emma, and I won't get there anytime soon. You and Kid start heading down. We'll meet you there. Aqualad out." Kaldur tells the two boys. I tilt my head at him, slightly pleased. This is the first time he's actually called me Emma. With his hand still wrapped around my arm, he slowly pulls me over to where I'm sensing his bike is sitting.
He gets on first, then pulls me so that I know to get on. I sit behind him once more, and my arms wrap around his waist, my head leaning on his back. He stiffens for a split second before loosening up and driving off, Megan flying beside us.
It's completely silent on the ride to Gotham. There's no conversation what-so-ever; we're all just lost in our thoughts. I don't have my helmet on, having lost it back when we lost the android parts, and my hair is down, so I can feel it whipping behind me as the wind passes through it. It's a nice feeling, like when I'm flying, but my wings aren't out at this time. I still don't like bike riding, but I guess this is nice enough.
Laying my head against Kaldur'ahm's back, I can hear his heart beating, I can hear his breathing despite the wind in my ears. It's actually quite... soothing. I actually feel peaceful, not the usual numbness, annoyance, or anger that I've been burying deep inside for so long.
I take a deep breath, my grip tightening around Kaldur. Either he doesn't notice, or he doesn't care, but I hear his heart beat quicken slightly. "Dracona?" He asks. I shush him. "I'm listening to your breathing and your heart. It's really soothing." I tell him. I sense him nod, sending a look back at me.
Pretty soon, I hear a lot of cars honking and people shouting. I open my eyes, which no longer hurt, to see that we're in the middle of a city. "Is this Gotham?" I ask. "Yes, it is." Aqualad answers me. For some reason, he stops outside of a school, and I follow him and M'gann into the gym.
"Help me disassemble him now!" Robin yells. "Dude, the guy has no head." Wally states. Kaldur opens the door, and we all run in, "Don't take any chances." He tells them. M'gann lands next to Superboy, asking if he's alright. He smiles at her. "I'm fine. Feeling the aster." He tells her. "Hey. Where's Ivo?" Kid asks. I look around. There's no one else here.

***

Back at the cave once more, I stand next to Kid and Robin as Aqualad gives details of the mission to Red Tornado, Batman, Green Arrow, Martian Manhunter, and Black Canary. I'm back into my usual clothes, and I plan to burn those pants after we're done here. "The Amazo Android is in pieces again, safely being analyzed at the two separate STAR labs, but Ivo escaped, and since he originated the tech, he's arguably more dangerous than the android." He tells them.
"Capturing the professor will be a League priority." Canary tells us. "But we understand your mission encountered, other complications." Manhunter comments. The others look over to Superboy, while Kaldur'ahm glances at me.
"Complications come with the job. Your ability to handle them has impressed the League." Batman tells us. "The whole League?" Superboy asks. Batman looks at him, "Given time, yes. Kryptonians, as you know, have very hard heads." Superboy smiles. "Of course, there's no shame in asking for help. That's why the League exists, because there are some problems even we can't handle individually."
"Please. If we needed help, we'd never get the chance to ask. Look familiar? You were following us! Babysitting! You still don't trust us." Robin exclaims, pulling out an arrow and showing it to all of us. I take a closer look at it. "Robin, that's not Green Arrow's arrow." I state.
"We didn't follow you." Batman says. Green Arrow pulls out one of his own, and shows us the difference. Sure enough, it's not his arrow. "And that's not his arrow, but that means-" "Speedy!" Wally exclaims. "He has our backs." Kaldur smiles. One look at the League is telling me differently, though. Wally grabs the arrow from Green Arrow, "Souvenir." I roll my eyes at him. Kaldur gives me a look, I give him a small smile. Every thing's okay in the world for now.
(A.N.: Hello to all my lovelies reading this at this very second. Yes, you! I am proud to have so many readers and I want to thank you all. I'm so happy that you all love my story. Now, on to other business. As you can see, I've added a little bit of fluff between Kaldur'ahm and Emma. I got giddy just writing it and I must say, this chapter was one of my personal favorites to write. I really like how it turned out, and I hope you do, too. Read on my doves!)