05.) A Good man/Vile Women

~~~Maria

He was bleeding on top of me, it's then that one of my men returned fire, shooting him in the face. The assailant falls on the ground, dead. I turn my gaze towards him, he was shot in the shoulder and his left side. I applied pressure on his back, it didn't go through surprisingly. All I remember him saying was 'Get down,' he must have heard the gun before me.

He shielded me even though I was a total stranger. Another victim I got caught in this crossfire, I hear an ambulance coming and I hear one of the employees saying, 'Ma'am, you have to go,' I get up and leave, looking at him one more time. I wanted to get to know this man, but I can't. I almost got him killed and he just met me.

I get the information of what hospital he's going to a few minutes later. Why was I going there? I put my thumb in my mouth and I twist my hair. I take a deep breath and I have my chauffeur drive me to this hospital, St. Mercy's. I ask for him by name and they tell me he's getting prepped for surgery. "Is he still awake?" I ask them. She says yes, "What room is he in?" I ask. She tells me and it's all the way on the other side of the hospital.

I don't wait around and I do get there, I see that he's dazed but he says my name. I look at him and a tear comes down my face. "I'm sorry that happened to you," I say to him. He then responds, 'I got shot shot,' I look at him, confused as he says, 'Bullets hurt,' and I realize they're putting him under. He's just in a waiting room. I then find myself compelled to ask, "Do you have anyone to call?"

He then says, 'My son and daughter. Just call the home phone, they should be fine,' He says, almost a little too relaxed. His phone's unlocked, of course, it is. He has no secrets, he's a single old man. 'Just call my daughter's house,' he says, slurred. I look through the contacts and realize he has a phone number saying, Ex-Wife. I call the ex-wife and it dawns on me, what the hell am I going to say?

'Booker? What the hell are you calling me for? You know this is harassment,' I clear my voice as I say, "Ma'am, your ex-husband has been shot," 'And they didn't kill him?' she says, rudely. I say no, 'Listen, nurse, you sound like a nice lady and all but don't call this number again and next time, call me if it's an actual emergency,'

I hang up the phone and I begin to call the house. I probably should have taken his word for it and called his children first, that woman was beyond rude. After all of this happened, I was escorted out of the room as they were about to transfer him for surgery. I dialed the phone so many times and no one answered. It seemed like calling their cell phones would have been the best idea but the only problem was that his phone was dying.

I sit and wait until he gets out of surgery. After I confirm that he's okay, I leave. I pay for his medical bill and I leave more money in his pocket. It's the least I can do since I'm never going to see him again. I guess it's time I take a flight out of the country for a while, I hadn't been to Mexico in a while and it was time I visited my home city and maybe get some business routes in line.

I see his phone ringing and I see whose calling. I wanted to answer the phone, I really did but I've done enough to this man. I've hurt this man enough. He's involved in my life and he doesn't even have to be. I walk away, leaving the phone ringing. Why am I not letting this go? Why am I not letting him go? He doesn't owe me anything, I don't owe him anything.

I shut the door to the ER and let him go. If there really is a reason for him to meet me, then I believe that God will bring him to me.

~~~Booker

I'm laying in the hospital bed and this is my third day. I was in so much pain and it felt like someone kicked me in the face. The hell happened? I thought to myself. I remember going out with this lady and I still can't remember my name. I've never been good with names. I hope I see her again is what I really do think to myself.