Chapter 48: Marriage Planning Gone Wrong

~~~Maria

I look at Booker as I think about what I told him a few days ago. I knew it was farfetched altogether. Was it the right idea to lie to him again, to pretend that this wasn't a real issue? I knew if I told him the truth, this wouldn't work but now a new enemy has been made.

'How can you all do this to me?' I hear Volkov say. That was the last thing he could say before he lost more than half of his empire and more than half of his funds. He deserved it, though after what he had done. He was lucky to escape with his life one of his Russian whores was working for the High Table but I knew killing Volkov would be a problem especially if I did it without the High Table's consent.

What he did was personal but what could have happened would have killed everyone in this room. He should have been happy he was just some crazy stalker and not only that but I also let the girl go. Turns out that Mr. Big Shot wasn't much of a big shot but that's not my problem anymore. He's been warned once. Anything he does after that is on his head but I'm not done with Volkov yet. He will pay for this indiscretion.

I calm myself as I think about Booker. I think about how much he put on the line for me again, how much he decided to be there for me again. Did I deserve this man? The simple truth is no, I did not. He didn't have to come back, he could have just stayed gone. As I think about that, I realize that I have to be better to him, I know I have to love him even more than I loved him before.

I couldn't imagine another woman having the same man that I had and if I couldn't have him, what would I do for him? How much would I be willing to lose? How much would I be willing to gain? Then I take a deep breath and as I say, "I'm not going to gain much by keeping him trapped with me especially if he hates me or if he doesn't want to be with me." As if that would ever happen, he wouldn't love someone who would lie to him so easily. He wants somebody who loves him and loving someone means telling the truth no matter how much it hurts your partner.

I told him I loved him and that I'd always be there for him and his kids but how can I be there for someone to who I lie every step of the way? 'Maria, have you heard me talk?' "Oh yes, babe. I'm just in my head." 'Yes clearly,' he said to me,' Is everything okay?' "Yes, I am just in my head, I'm sorry," I say, hoping he buys it.

Then he says, 'You've been quiet and in your head for the last few days. I want to make sure you're okay. What you went through was stressful.' But I was the one who caused it, I think to myself, I was the one who made this more complicated. If I had more challenge to tell him the truth, then maybe this could be different and then I think to myself, what if he rejects me? What if he grows to hate me? What if he doesn't want me and could I bare that?

As I began to silently tear up, I think if this was fair to him in any respect, in any right. Is this fair of me to take this chance of normalcy away from him? I need to figure something out before this hurts him in a way that I can't deal with. Losing him because of random acts of violence will not go unpunished and it was then that I got a call.

I looked at the name and I frowned. "Hello, Keisha. What do you want?" I say with a deep sigh. 'Don't tell Booker.' "Depends on what it is. What do you want?" 'Junior is missing.' "You're telling me this on the day that we're shopping for a venue for the wedding?" 'No, I promise. This isn't-'

"Keisha, I don't know what the hell's wrong with you but if I find out you're lying, I'm going to make it so Booker never wants to hear from you again. Now, tell me when's the last time you've heard from him?" 'Screw you.' She says to me. "The clock's ticking, bitch." I say in a whisper. 'I was talking to him on the phone and then his phone got cut off but the problem is when I called him back, it went straight to voicemail.' "Do you remember the last thing that happened?" 'All I remember him texting is Mom help and then he never responded to my messages. Please just go and help him. I don't care when. Just go and help him as fast as you can.'

It's then that I hear a knock on the door. 'Maria, we're still waiting for you. Are you okay in there?" I wipe the tears from my face as I say, "Yes darling, I'm fine, just sorting some stuff out." 'Alright' "But something came up. I need to get ready to go." 'Is it business related?' "Yes. It's about my dad." 'Alright, well can we at least get a quote from the young lady before we leave?'

His voice sounded worried about me and it was then that I said, "Yes, of course. Get a quote for me, Booker and then we'll get ready. Thank you." I say. I call Gregor and Gregory as I say, "Get a squad ready," and I hang up the phone.

~~~Booker

As Maria and I began to drive home, I find myself, calling Booker. Something just didn't sit right with the fact that he didn't call me or send me a meme. He always does it and then I had a feeling that something was wrong, I wish I could call him and hear him say, 'Dad' to me right now. I am worried about him.

"Hey, Maria. Have you heard from Booker?" I say to her, calmly. Her eyes looked completely concerned for a moment and I heard her say, 'He sent me a meme a while ago but I'm sure he'll turn up eventually.' "Alright." 'He's probably at his mother's on a gaming binge.' I say to her. 'True. I should text Keisha and find out.' As I began to call Keisha, her phone immediately picks up as she says, 'Hello?' "Hey uh Keisha, have you heard from Booker?"

It's then that she says, 'Yes. He's playing that damned x whatever it is. You know the games you got them for their birthday,' "Okay. Well, tell him to call me when he gets a chance." As I drive and drop Maria off at the apartment, I see Gregor and Gregory there. I wave and honk at them and they both didn't even react. It was before Maria got out of the car, that she kissed me and said 'I love you, Booker, I'll see you tonight.'

End of Chapter 48: Marriage Planning Gone Wrong