Chapter 47: The Power Of Bread

~~~Maria

Why? Why did I do that to him? He...he was trying to help me. I look at the burnt bread and I realize I could never make it without his perception of love. He put more than just skill and patience into it, he put love into it. I love him but I love him for more than just this patience. I love him because he's given me unconditional love from the very beginning. Not even knowing me as a stranger and he still decided to dive in front of a bullet for me.

Yet that night when he confided in me, I shouldn't have done that. I shouldn't have made him feel so small, so bad when he was just trying to share his experiences. It was then that I found myself, sending him a message. Only for me to see that damned green bubble. Did he really block me? Did he really not want to see me?

Then anger got the better of me. "No. No, No, No. He can't do this to me or can he?" It was then that I began to get up and leave my kitchen. As I began to leave the kitchen after another failed attempt, I looked at my phone and I knew he wasn't going to talk to me. I knew he was just going to ignore me and he has a right to. I knew he wasn't going to call me, I knew if he felt like this, I knew how he was really feeling and then I got a call and it wasn't from the person I wanted to hear from.

It was from O'Brian. 'We have a problem.' I take a deep breath as I then say, "What kind of problem?" 'Well for starters, we have to pay a visit to the High Table. We have a visitor here.' As I get up and leave, I could feel something was wrong yet it was time to deal with it. Something was wrong and I knew it was.

I walked to the door and I see a familiar face in an unfamiliar place. I open the door and say, "What the fuck are you doing here, Volkov?" His eyes narrowed as he then smiled, 'I'm here for you.' As I look behind him, it finally dawns on me, he's not with his two whores. "One second," I shut my door and go right to my couch. I check the ammo and realize it's too late. They were already in here.

I run up to my room and then I suddenly get a text message. 'We checked the place thoroughly. All your firearms have no ammo expect for your safe, of course. All of your weapons are empty. Please come back to the door.' As I make my way back downstairs, I realize I have someone I want to talk to. I send Booker a message that I love him and that he's the best thing that's ever happened to me.

Before I walk to the door, I checked my kitchenware and I got another message. 'Hurry up. If you keep taking your time, I'm going to kill one of your fiancé's children.' As I found myself rushed, I opened the door, knowing this could end bad. I felt my heart racing as I thought the last time we talked was when I argued and yelled at him. Keisha was right, I do not deserve him.

Why did I have to do that? He was just trying to help me. He deserved better. I opened the door and let him in. He smiled as he said, 'Thank you for cooperating. I would have hated to blow your pretty little head off right in front of your fiancé.' He smiled so calmly, knowing that he had the advantage. "What are you doing here, shitstain?" 'The High Table has decided you're bad for business or at least, that's what they'll believe when I spin a story of lies that puts you on your knees and they take care of the rest for me or you can give you your entire share. You work for me.'

My eye twitched at the pure nonsense this man was under, but the fact that it was a real threat made it worse. How could he do something like this? was my only thought and why would he do something like this? It's then that he pulled his gun out and pointed it right at my face. "You can stop this madness and I can pretend you never did it. Volkov, do you crave power this much that you'll betray the High Table to this degree?" 'No, I hate you so much that I would rather you burn than you destroy the High Table with your stupid love fantasies.'

"Interesting." I say with a smile. All he was was a little man vying for power, I wish I'd have known that sooner. I would have just shot my father and then walked away. 'Too bad. You're really too resilient,' It's then that he got close to me, getting close to me within breathing length. "What do you want?" I say to him, his breath so close and his eyes staring deep into me. 'I think I might as well have fun before you go.' "What are you saying?"

It was then that I flashed back to my father. 'She said no, motherfucker' and then I heard Booker's voice. As I thought it was my imagination, I looked and it was obvious. It was him, why was he here though? As I saw it in his eyes, I could see that he was here for something else but he saw me in trouble.

With one punch, he was knocked out. Volkov was slumped over, 'Let's call the cops and get him out of here.' "I still don't understand. How did you get in the building?" 'The door was unlocked and I saw this weirdass motherfucker come in with a gun.' I was so nervous at first, I was so nervous that he was here. I was nervous he was going to draw some other conclusions.

'I thought you were cheating on me, but thank god he had a gun.' 'Booker, what the hell?" 'Thank god he had a gun. I couldn't handle a breakup like that,' he said with a chuckle. As I saw his eyes light up with joy, knowing that I wasn't two-timing on him, I felt happy. I then remember that he was cheated on him by Keisha and the bigger insult to him was that it was by another woman.

He loved Keisha and her betrayal was much worse than anything could ever be for him. He thought he would trust her. Instead, he was proven to be wrong. 'So, you need to tell me. Who is this asshole?' And the moment of truth came for me. What do I tell him?

End of Chapter 47: The Power of Bread