Chapter 49: A Hidden Hand

~~~Booker Junior

"Are you sure this is the right address?" 'Yes, that's the right address.' "Okay.' I don't know why she wants me to pick up those damned scratch-off tickets. As I walked into the store, looking for her scratch-offs, I find myself, stuck on this girl. I don't know why but I couldn't help but make eye contact with her.

She had long black hair and her dark skin was beautiful. Why? Why was she so beautiful? Then she made eye contact. 'Hi" was all I could muster, a faint and measly hi and I waved my hand. She then smiles as she says, 'Hi, who are you?' "My name's Book," I say, running my hands through my hair. 'Oh, hi, how are you?' She says.

"I'm doing good but as soon as I saw your long, flowing afro, I got distracted," I say, sheepishly. Wait, why the hell am I saying that? 'You're not the only one.' "What do you mean by that?" I say. 'Well, I just got distracted by a random guy at a quickie mart.' It's then that I frown a bit as she then says, 'I'm just kidding. I'm out, getting snacks anyway.' I chuckle as she says, 'You're kind of cute, Book but do you have the whole name to go with that name, Mr. Book?'

As I spend more time, talking to her, I find out that she and I went to rival schools. We spent a few minutes, talking. It was then that I feel something in my back and then I hear a click. 'Come with me if you don't want to paint that girl's dress with your brains.' As I stop, I'm so shocked that I feel as though my heart skips a beat and then something in me clicks.

'Can I at least get the young lady's number first?" and then I hear a chuckle. 'You think you're going to live long enough to get it?' "Come on, man. I'm a virgin, you're really going to waste me like this." I  almost felt the hot wet liquid run down my leg but I forced my bladder to obey me a little bit longer and the liquid subsides, thank god for compression underwear.

At that moment, he says, 'Fine. Get your damned number.' He had a thick Russian accent, nowhere near Maria's level but definitely close. At that moment as I slowly reached out my phone, I pushed an emergency call and sent out a call. "Mom, it's me." I didn't even wait for her to speak as I say, "Mom, help." 'You stupid fucking-' and then blackness. Something hit me and all I remember was seeing that girl's shocked face.

It's then that I feel ice-cold water dumped on me and I wake up. I see Belle and my mother's faces. We were in my mom's apartment and I focused my eyes on my mother. "What happened?" I say, exasperated. 'I'm so sorry. I just wish it didn't happen to us both.' "Why is this happening?" It's then that I see something that I shouldn't see and I see a man. 'Hello, I know this is a bit startling but my name is well, you'll be getting to know me very soon but I'll introduce my friend over here.'

'This is Volkov. He is a friend of mine and I'm here because your stepmother has something I want so I'm going to make this easy for you. You can call your stepmother and tell her where to meet you or I can play a game with your mother. I've already played a few with your sister.' It was then that anger began to come out of me, trying and failing to get out of my rope.

'Oh, the angry little man thinks he can do something.' It was then that he grabbed my chin and turns me toward my sister. 'Look at what I did to her. What do you think I've done to her?' and fear flows on my face as I see Belle. He had her shirt ripped open, exposing her breasts and a deep cut on top of one with blood leaking out of her mouth. He also gave her a black eye.

My mother had not been hit at all so why was she completely fine? "Mom, what happened to Belle?" 'He's been hurting her. She didn't break but they want to know where Booker and Maria's money is. Do you know?' but all I could say was "I don't know." 'Volkov, grab a hammer and nails.'

~~~Maria

As I keep trying to call Keisha's phone, I knew something was up and I needed to hurry. I sent Booker to the bakery, I could only hope that I got there in time, that I could help him, that I could help the kids. Then I get a call, it was from Victoria. 'Volkov has lost his damned mind,' I hear her strong accent. 'and so has Damien.' I hear her words but I wasn't sure if this was true. "Why would Damien do this?" I say.

It's then that she says, 'The only reason why I think he would do this is that he wants something but to go after everything like this, it means there's something else at work." It's then that I get a call from Volkov. "He's calling me now. I have to take this," As I tell her this, she says to me, 'You have to find a way to get yourself out of this situation.' "Can I depend on you to help with cleanup?" 'Of course, you can. Do what you have to do. I expect to hear from Volkov or you within the hour but this has to be dealt with tonight.'

There were seven people at the High Table: Volkov, Ivan, Damien, Victoria, Alexei and the final one is someone I haven't met. If I did, he said nothing at the table. It's then that I hear a mysterious voice, 'Miss Maria, we need to go and contact Booker.' At that moment, I see two young men and I recognized them immediately. "O'Brian, what are you doing here?" He smiles as he says, 'I'm here because my boss sent me.' "And who's that? Because I know damn well, I'm your boss."

He smiles and says, 'Victoria's brother sent me.' My eyes widened, she had a brother and why would he tell me this now? He then smiles as he says, 'I know you have a lot of questions so I'll make it easy for you. I'll help you deal with Volkov and Damien, but we can't kill Damien.' I smile as I say, "What makes you think I was going to kill him? I want answers, too." 'Well, then we need to go.'

It was then that I had gotten a text from Gregor, 'Everyone's outside and in cars.' As we get ready to leave, I get a text from Booker, 'Something's not right,' I then say to him, "Everything's fine. I'm going to go check on everyone now, why don't you go get us some lunch? I'll try and be home in an hour."

It's then that he sends another message and for a minute there, I thought he was going to say something else but all he says is, 'Okay. What do you want?' "Surprise me." 'Okay. I love you.' He says to me. I respond back with a kissing emoji and say I love you back. As we all get ready to leave, I knew this was going to be a large issue. Finding everyone was the next thing but I didn't have time for that.

I called Damien myself, 'Maria, I did not expect this.' "I thought you would have taken Volkov's route," I said, "A coward through and through." It's then that I can hear him smile as he says, 'No Maria, I'm doing this for another reason entirely. If you want to find me, come and find me but make sure you come alone.' "Oh, I'll be there soon and hell's coming with me." That was all I could say.

Everything that had led to this moment was already here. All I could do now was retaliate properly and make sure no one innocent died but in my experience, that always happens but I won't let it happen. Even if it means I have to die for them, I just hope I won't die for Keisha.

End of Chapter 49: A Hidden Hand