08.) A Connection/Meeting

~~~Maria

What am I doing here? I find myself, asking. I want to muster up the courage to talk to him, mostly because he's been on my mind. Just the simple fact that he was a nice man and the simple fact that he didn't see me as just another customer, he actually wanted to help me. The simple fact that he actually knew how to flirt with me though there wasn't much said, I could tell you he wanted to get to know me more or maybe I was just having hopes and dreams, I did get him shot after all, hopes and dreams for a man I only met once.

I see a shadow coming out of the back and I find myself, getting back in my car. "Drive," 'Where to, ma'am?' Gregory said. We drive to my next location as I have my legal team scouring everything, I sit on the phone, going through messages, seeing what I've missed, checking for any missed calls. Surprisingly, I see none. We've been driving for a while as I send messages to everyone and connect with a few people.

It's been a while since everything's been this slow, but since the murder-suicide of Alexander has led all evidenced against me to be removed. It's allowed me to move much more freely although I do the occasional police car drive past my apartments. I'm going to miss living in my mansion, but downsizing is always a good thing. As we drive past Lexington Market, I couldn't help but to take in the sights.

At one point in time, this place wasn't that bad. That time has passed. Now, all that's here is reminders of a once great and thriving city. All that's left is a tourist trap at the harbor and stadiums where everyone goes to vent their frustrations. I look outside of the window as I notice a faint tapping on my window. Before I could say something, I look to see the person's face and shock fills my eyes.

~~~Booker

I leave the building, knowing I have to head to Lexington Market. Not only is it a good place to grab some of my favorite foods, it's also a good place to connect with a few of the older fellows who live around there. I had a few friends who also liked to play chess, I also know a few guys who like to buy and sell things, maybe I'll come across something good.

I drive my old Cadillac down, enjoying the sights and sounds. As I drive, I see a nice car ahead of me, the windows are tinted, obscuring any view inside. I look at the car and see how clean it is. That white interior was beautiful, it gleamed so well against the sunlight. I focus on the road as I almost get into an accident and I hear someone yell asshole. I could respond but I ignore them, what am I gonna say to them? At the end of the day, the worse he can do is confront me but who the fuck has time for that?

As I make my way to the Lexington Market, I talked to a few of the people there. It seems like it wasn't too busy, it made me realize how slow it could really be down here especially when all you're going to get is a bunch of beggars. As I keep walking, I see something, something I didn't expect to see, the same white car but didn't it take a different route? I think to myself. Well it's no reason for me to be worried about it.

I find myself, looking at it and I was mesmerized by its beauty. Damn, that Chrysler 300 was beautiful. As the car stops on the road, I walk to it, tapping the driver's side of the window. I see a man whose in his 30's roll down the window, his eyes had a certain form of seriousness to them. Before the man could respond, I said, "I'm sorry to bother you, but I just thought your Chrysler 300 was beautiful." It's then that the light-skinned man focused his dark eyes on me as he smiled and said, 'Thank you,' He revealed a golden tooth, it was on his canine.

It's then that I hear an ecstatic voice, 'Booker?' I recognize the voice immediately "Maria" I say in a shocked tone, 'It's nice to see you again,' she says with a smile. It's then that Gregory coughs a little bit and says, 'The light's green,' I listen to a bunch of honks, I forgot how impatient people can be and I forgot how much of an inconvenience I am being. I step off to the curb and the car pulls to the side.

It's then that I see Maria step out of the car, it's then that my heart skips a beat like I was in high school. What couldn't I say about her? She is beautiful, her hair going to her ears, parted perfectly, her beautiful black hair glistening against her pale skin, her steely grey eyes beautiful with her red lipstick.

It's only then that I notice a mole at the top of her lip, she smiles as she says, 'It's so nice to see you,' in a genuine voice, 'I'm glad to see you're alive and well,' I smile and say, "Thank you. After you left the hospital, I never got your number," She smiles as she says, 'Well I thought I'd be the last person you want to see,' I look at her, confused as I say, "No, you'd be far from the last person," I say with a genuine voice.

"I just finished up business here, do you want to come back to my bakery?" She smiles as she thinks about it before answering, 'As long as I can have you after you close,' I smile as I tell her, "You know I'm an old man," She looks at me with a smile as she says, 'Not you.' I then say, "You flatter me," 'I'll meet you at the bakery then?' She smiles as she gets in the car.

I find myself, almost sprinting to my car when she pulled off. I pay my toll and I leave, finding myself on the way to the bakery. I find myself getting closer and closer, not even using my GPS on the phone. As I get there, I see her waiting in the store, I look at the time and realize the store closes in 45 minutes. I hope Paul is almost finished meal-prep, I enter the store with the signature ding. I talk to Paul and tell him we're closing early today. Paul looks at me and says, 'Are you sure?' He's nervous at first but then I tell him, "Everything's fine, I know her," Paul then says, 'Not her. The big guy,'

I put my hand on Paul's shoulder and I say, "I'm sure. He's her bodyguard or something," reassuring him. He could be her chauffeur for all I know. He allows himself to relax for a bit as he gets his jacket, I lock the door and shut it. I see that her bodyguard was also waiting outside for her, too.

I say "One second," as I go back into the kitchen and grab some banana bread. I also grab some of my personal ice cream from the refrigerator. I had vanilla and I also had chocolate with chocolate syrup. I come back out and I see a smile on her face. I smile sincerely as I ask, "How have you been?"

End of Chapter 8: A Connection/ Meeting