Chapter 57- Behind the Mask

Gabriela's POV

I explained everything to Arturo about the map in the black book and showed it to him by using ultraviolet light. However, I keep the list of the names that Ellie decipher. I have only given Arturo the cypher one which made him perplexed. I want to keep my card safe. If he thinks he can easily be scared, then he better think twice.

"What does it mean?" he asked me while we sat down.

"I don't know Uncle. I'm also trying to find the meaning of it," I said while I creased my brows. I hope I convince him with my acting.

"Alright, then it's time for you to go back in your quarters my dear niece. Tomorrow, we will arrive at the island and it will be a long day," he said in finality. The two guards appeared at my sides and held me in my both wrist.

"No need to be harsh, I will comply in whatever you want me to do Uncle. You're the only family I left," I stated while trying to glare at two guards.

"Let her go, but make it sure that she will not escape and she's on her best behaviour," he commanded while sipping his tea.

What a fool! How can I escape when I was in the middle of the sea?!

Instead of shouting at him, I gave him a small smile and said, "Thank you, Uncle. It is so kind of you."

Like a lost little puppy, I silently follow the guards. They brought me into a small room and locked me in. I need to think of what I'm doing to do next. Perhaps I can wait until the time we arrive at the island and escape. I wonder where is Timothy right now. I hope is safe and doing well right now.

A knock on the door interrupted my thought and a guard went inside. He was wearing a black suit same as the other guards. He looks young and looks like in his early twenty. He looks so stern and serious. He was holding a tray with food in his hand.

'Know yourself and know your enemy.' I must let them think that I'm not capable and I'm just a weak woman. I must get their trust and know what the plan of Uncle Arturo is.

He put the tray on the table. "Thank you so much Mr Do you want some? I know you are also hungry," I said in a kind manner when he turn back. I notice his gun on his back and also the keys which he gets in his pocket.

"No, I'm okay Miss," he replied as he looked at me.

I made a sad face and looked down, " I feel so lonely right now. Maybe, there's someone I could talk to. I'm so scared. I don't know what to do." I cried and stared at my hand.

I wiped my tears and gazed at him, "What's your name?" I asked. I must get his trust whoever he is and know the plan of my wicked Uncle.

"Darren," he replied curtly.

"Nice to meet you, Darren. My name is Gabriela. If you don't mind, could you please stay here? I don't want to be left alone. You can stand at the door if you feel uncomfortable. I just need someone to talk to," I pleaded.

He looked at me hesitantly and finally nodded his head. He was standing near the door while putting the keys back in his pocket. I can escape easily if I want to but that will be a bad move. It will only make my situation worse and Arturo might kill me. I must get the sympathy of the guard first and appear weak.

"I don't really know why I'm here. I'm afraid that Uncle Arturo might kill me. I don't know about that island and what my father did to him. I feel so scared and pathetic," I cried. My acting seems effective because he looked at me with pity eyes. I don't really like a damsel in distress, but to survive I need to do it.

"Don't worry. You're safe," he reassured. However, I won't be assured that he will be. I know Timothy is coming for me.

* * * * *