Chapter 59- The Secret of Burceya Island

Gabriela's POV

I was inside the tent and I can't make myself fall asleep. Not only I was lying on the hard surface, but the cold and chirping sounds of insects also made it worst. Additionally, I can't sleep thinking about Timothy. He was outside my tent, still guarding. I need to sort my feelings. While he was wearing that mask, I will treat him like a stranger. That will solve my problem. I sighed and I closed my eyes. What else is he hiding?

I imagine that Timothy is here with me right now, embracing me. With that thought, I slowly feel sleepy. Little that I know, I fell asleep already.

The cold wind brushes my skin and men's voices disrupted my sleep. It's already morning and it's time to continue our journey. Arturo was excited to go even though it's still dark. What else would I expect, I'm in a dark forest. Funny as it sounds but it's really scary here.

"Time to wake up," Darren said as he opened the tent. I decided to call him Darren and treat him like a stranger. I don't have proof that he is Timothy. All my assumptions are just based on my intuition and feelings.

"I'll be right there," I said as I combed my hair quickly with my hands and went out. I walked to the waterfalls and sat down as I washed my face to vanish the sleepiness I felt. When I finished, I wiped my face with my clothes and stood up. When I turned around, I saw Arturo standing in front of me together with his two bulky guards.

"Are you ready my dear niece?" he asked while he handed me the map again. I inhaled and exhaled to control the anger that I felt.

"Yes of course Uncle," I replied smiling even though I wanted to explode. I need to obey him to get on his good side. Then, attack him at the right time.

I reviewed the map again and we were on the second landmark, the waterfalls. This time, we need to head to the southeast. I retrieved the compass in my pocket and read the direction.

"We need to walk in the southeast direction out of the dark forest, then after that, we will see a bridge. We need to walk through it," I explained.

Arturo nodded and his men packed all of the things right away. We continued our course according to the plan.

I tried to focus on the things I need to do and forget about my theory about Darren. I need to get the trust of Arturo and reach our destination without any problem. My main goal now is to stay alive. I will execute my escape plan after we arrived at our destination.

I do admit that I also feel curious about this island and why Arturo was so keen to go here.

I was in the depth of my thought when I felt something was crawling on my leg. I stopped walking and my breathing becomes ragged. It feels like I was poured a bucket of ice when I saw the slithering creature moving up on my leg.

* * * * *

Timothy's POV

At first, I was doubtful about the plan Enrique had for me to disguise. However, when I saw the silicon mask, I was convinced that it will work. It was so realistic and no one will suspect that it was only a disguise. All I need to do is to change my voice so that Gabriela won't recognize me.

I disguised myself as one of the men of Arturo. I'm the one who was guarding Gabriela and seeing her, make me miss her more. It was hard not to talk to her and touch her.

It was so hard for me especially when I saw Gabriela crying, but I know her well. That she's a strong and intelligent woman. She's helping Arturo to get his trust. I can't tell her about the plan because Arturo was keeping an eye on her and she might get in trouble.

Enrique explained to me about Burceya Island. Five years ago, before he disappeared, he met with the organized pirates. They gave him a piece of valuable information about Burceya Island's location. The island was only a myth of old pirates at first but then they finally found it and proven that it exist. The Black Tarakona Society had been trying to find this island for so long because of the report that the island has an unfathomable treasure that a human can't imagine. They planned to use that treasure to widen their influence and also to be the most powerful people in the world. 

The Black Tarakona Society allied with organized crime syndicates groups such as Mafia and organized pirates all over the world, which made them more dangerous. They funded those syndicates to gain protection and power. Enrique realized that it will be a  big problem if this happen. 

Enrique hid everything to Arturo about the island. He made a book with the list of the names of Black Tarakona Society members which were on the cypher and a map that can be seen only by ultraviolet light. He made it to use as evidence if something bad happens to him.

Enrique also said that he built a gate to protect the cavern from any intruders when he came here on the Burceya island. The cavern is where the treasures are located. However, it was too late because when he came back home, Arturo knew everything. He was planning to get the map and kill him. Gabriela was still sixteen years old at that time and she thought that Enrique just came from another business trip. Enrique made sure that Gabriela will be safe and instructed Maria, their maid, that they need to fly away from Baltimore. He gave Gabriela money and also he gave a necklace which will be a key to the gate. But Gabriela doesn't know about the key.

Arturo thought that they killed Enrique at that time but it was only a show. It was one of the Black Tarakona Society members and Enrique was too smart to put a silicon mask on his face and report it to the media. 

We were walking in the midst of the forest and Gabriela was so focused on her thinking. I wonder what's on her mind. Then, suddenly she stopped and screamed. I pulled my gun right away and assessed the situation. I saw a snake crawling on her leg and I quickly grabbed it. I threw the snake on the ground and shoot its head. I looked at Gabriela and she was trembling. She must be in shock. Gabriela has a phobia of snakes and any slimy reptiles.

"Are you okay?" I asked. She looked at me with teary eyes and suddenly hugged me.

"Thank you," I was startled that she embraced me but also I like the feeling of her warmth. I  just wanted to embrace her forever. However, Arturo walked towards us and right away I removed Gabriela's arm from me.

"What's happening?" Arturo asked furiously.

I straighten my back and deepen my voice, "There was a snake Sir and I killed it."

He nodded and looked at Gabriela, "Are you okay?"

"Yes, Uncle. I'm sorry for the interruption," she replied composing herself.

"Aright then. Let's carry on. We are wasting a lot of time," he commanded. I glanced at Enrique and he nodded at me.

We continued to walk and Gabriela seems to be more relaxed compared to earlier. She's not talking but she's looking at me from time to time and smiled at me. I feel jealous of myself. It may sound crazy but the face that she was looking at was not me but another man's face and it made me angry.

After an hour of venturing the woods, we finally found the bridge. Our next landmark. We are getting nearer and nearer to the cavern. 

Arturo smiled devilishly," My dear niece. We are here now. What's our next destination?"

Gabriela studied the map while holding the compass, "We need to walk ahead to the north. Then, we will find the cavern. Our last destination."

"What are you waiting for? Lead the way girl," he smiled in satisfaction.

Our speed doubled and Arturo was very eager to arrive at the cavern immediately. The sky was beginning to turn grey and later on a heavy rain poured, but still, we continue our parade. I gave my coat to Gabriela and she gladly accepted. Again, the feeling of jealousy burned me when I imagine Gabriela is with another man. But, I reminded myself why I am here. I am here to guard and protect her from danger. I trust Gabriela and I love her so much. 

Another hour passed. The rain stopped pouring but the thunder continued. Gabriela stopped walking and I looked at her with curiosity.

She took a deep breath and said, "We are here."

~End of Chapter 59~

I'm excited! Thank you for reading.:)