32. worth the risk

Gently, Joker runs the side of his hand against the side of [Y/N]'s sleeping face. Never in his life had someone meant so much to him. The feeling scares him yet relieves him. In some way, she's like his anchor that keeps the calm him in place in the sea of Chaos that is his mind.

Without waking her up, he slips out of the bed and makes his way to the living room. He puts on some sweatpants of his and smiles as he thinks about last night. The Joker walks over to the window beside the front door and peeks outside to see if Commissioner Gordon is still spying, non-discreetly, on them. The answer is yes.

"Get a life, Commissioner," he whines slightly in his iconic Joker voice.

The two sides of him fight like an Angel and a demon on his shoulders. One side, the side that wants to watch Gotham fall into chaos, wants to approach the Commissioner. The other side that doesn't want to leave [Y/N]'s side fights to keep him to stay inside.

As most all of his previous plans have worked, he just needs a few more to be as lucky. The Joker pulls out his flip phone and dials a number. Simply, he says, "go," before hanging up.

Throughout the city, goons commit small attacks on Gotham. Though it may seem as if their mission is to just incite chaos like normal, it's not. Soon after attacks begin, 18-wheelers driven by goons show up around the time news reporters are filming. The side door of an 18-wheeler opens and goons toss mostly male civilians out of the truck. Each and everyone is scarred with a permanent Glasgow smile.

The Joker puts on a t-shirt and changes into jeans then walks outside. He tosses his keys up and down in the air on his way to his motorcycle. Commissioner Gordon watches him and quickly notices Joker's unforgettable scars. The driver's side door is opened and Gordon runs, gun drawn, at the Joker. "On the ground! Hands behind your head!" The Commissioner shouts, demandingly.

The Joker does as he's told and is soon handcuffed by Gordon. "Did I do something, Commissioner?" He asks, smiling on the inside and well permanently on the outside.

Gordon turns the Joker around so they are facing each other, "I knew it was you, son of bitch."

"I think you got the wrong guy."

"Do I?" The Commissioner laughs and takes him to his car.

As he pushes Joker into the back seat, Joker says again, "I think you got the wrong guy, sir."

"Shut it," Gordon slams the door and drives the Joker to the police station.

When they arrive, the Commissioner practically drags the Joker inside. The Joker doesn't fight it whatsoever. Inside the police station are many visible Glasgow smiles. All of which are men who fit the Joker's description. The Commissioner stares at the many smiles staring back at him.

Each Glasgow smile is interviewed separately. All of them follow a story of one day they were kidnapped by random goons and the next thing they knew, they had a permanent smile. According to them, they were all held in a big group for a while. Some victims stated that some of them were let out in small groups before others. The majority were let go just then though.

"For a sick freak, you sure can plan ahead. I'll give you that," Commissioner Gordon circles the chair the Joker is sitting in.

"Plan ahead? Commissioner, I don't know what you're accusing me of, but I know it's not what you think." The Joker replies.

Gordon laughs a little, "I'm not an idiot, Joker."

The Joker looks up at him and chuckles, "you think I'm the Joker? Now that's a joke."

"Your scars are identical to his!" Gordon gets frustrated.

"And if I'm not mistaken, when we came in, everyone else in the room seemed to as well."

Gordon is quiet for a minute then sits down across from the Joker. He places his hands in front of him, clasped. "Explain how you got the scars," Gordon tells him.

"As mentioned the first time we met, Commissioner, I met [Y/N] online before she was kidnapped by the sick freak you claim me to be. Well, before that, I got abducted by some street thugs and the next thing I knew, I had this shit permanently on my face. I wasn't taken long. When I was taken, there were others. They got released with me," he thinks for a moment, "I didn't want to meet [Y/N] in person because of the scars covering my face. That's why we, well I, strictly kept our friendship online." When talking about how his scars affected meeting [Y/N], he acts upset to make Gordon believe what he's saying.

Gordon gets up and walks to the door of the interrogation to leave. He exits the room and meets with other officers, asking what stories they got told.

The Joker waits patiently for Gordon to return. Even though, he is taking a huge risk with doing this. He wants to so he can live without hiding with [Y/N]. Due to his scars irritating him, he licks the corners of his mouth a little.

Commissioner Gordon soon comes back and sits down. "Your story checks out," he looks up at the Joker, "I still don't believe it though."

"[Y/N] described his scars to me. I know they're identical. I'm guessing he's the one who gave me these scars. But that's not a crime, is it? Getting hurt and permanently scarred isn't a crime. Since it's not, when can I go back to [Y/N]?" The Joker asks.

"Funny how you and the Joker, since you're two different people, have the same obsession with [Y/N]. Explain that."

"You've met her. You've seen her personality first hand. You've also seen her first hand. Do you know what you've also seen? How she reacts to the mention of the Joker. Therefore, if I was the same guy, why would she live with me? Why would she go to dinner willingly with me?" The Joker replies.

As the interrogation continues, Commissioner Gordon knows he has no evidence against him. He stands up and grabs the Joker's arm to lift him out of his seat. "You're a lucky son of a bitch, you know that?"

The Joker says nothing in response. The Commissioner takes him out of the interrogation room to the main area of the police station and takes off his handcuffs. The Joker rubs his wrist and looks at the Commissioner, "wish you luck with catching him."

The Commissioner ignores him. The Joker grabs any of his things taken off of him and leaves.

-

When he goes inside [Y/N]'s apartment, she runs to him from the couch. She hugs him tight and begins a slight interrogation of her own, "where have you been? I saw on the news that mass amounts of scarred people were taken in."

"I was at the police station with the Commissioner, but it's a good thing because now I don't have to uh.. hide to be with you. Gordon knows that I have scars now." He runs his hand through his hair.

She smiles for a second then it goes away, "that's not the way to go about that! You could've been arrested!"

He laughs genuinely at [Y/N], "it was worth the risk."