ღ Finding Cinderella (8)

ღ Finding Cinderella- 8 ღ

Finding Cinderella- 8

-Kylie-

Oh.

My.

God.

You just have to breathe deeply, I told myself for the millionth time, just like Mom does in her yoga lessons. Just breathe... deeply...

I could feel my intestines doing knots, but then it was understandable. How could I be calm when I was forced to waltz in front of hundreds of people?

Not to mention I'd been paired with Erik!

Okay, so maybe it hadn't been me, exactly. Lacey had been his original partner, but with the whole fainting incident, things had totally swerved off track. In my head, I begged my whole life to Steven that I wasn't going to dance and he said okay and I went home to play Bioshock and that was the end of the story.

Sadly, things never worked out the way they did inside my brain.

So here I was, dancing before Erik, taking small steps in time with his and trying to break eye contact even though I couldn't do it.

I really couldn't.

I'd been rendered completely awestruck at how handsome he looked in his white tuxedo, and with his hair fixed, his thick lashes, and his pearly whites flashing as he smiled, he certainly looked like a King.

Some part of me wished for the dance to last longer, but the rest of me wished for time to speed up and end this event already. All I wanted was to run and hide because nobody, especially not him, could know this was me.

Even though it had been totally against my will, I had agreed with the student council to do this just as long as nothing got out about the big switch. This was just too humiliating. Besides, I knew how rumors could fly around this school. That's why I had forced those girls back in the dressing room to let me wear a mask and a wig, and thankfully, they gave in.

After I had begged on my knees.

Now my face was starting to itch, and I couldn't let go of Erik's hand to scratch it. Great. Not only did the makeup make my face smell like Play-Doh, but it induced an allergic reaction, too.

"Hey, are you okay?" Erik whispered, startling me as I danced. Oh no. He had to have seen my face scrunching up from the itch!

I quickly shook my head.

"Don't be nervous," he replied with a light chuckle. "Just follow my lead, and everything will go smoothly."

Oh, wasn't he a gentleman? Erik's chivalry had always been one of my favorite traits.

As the song played on, we circled around the room a few times, making my brain spin. I tried my best to follow his lead, but the routine was starting to get tricky, and I found myself growing more and more confused. Finally, when Erik stepped to the right in a complicated move, I anxiously followed, only to tread on his foot in the process.