ღ Finding Cinderella (40)

Thanks to Erin for the fan cover above!

ღ Finding Cinderella- 40 ღ

-Kylie-

The next day, Tristan acted as if nothing had happened, and so I acted as if he was nothing, too. He told me we could go home together again, and I was sure, based on how he gave me his puppy eyes look, that he was hoping for another make-out session with me in his car. Fuck no. I was so not going to kiss the mouth of the guy who had declared his love for me and ended up sucking another girl's face a few days later.

Hence, I told him with a plastic smile, "Sorry, but I've got plans with Julianne. Maybe next time." I added 'next time' to keep his dreams up so I could crush them later on, because fuck him and fuck whatever had been going on between us.

"Uh, all right. I'm gonna go hang out with the guys," Tristan said. The jerk couldn't even look at me directly. "But let me know if you change your mind."

Like hell I would. I gave him a sour smile, and he stared at me for a few seconds, seemingly wanting to add something, but he just smiled back and walked away. "Hangout with the guys" huh? Yeah, doubt it. Go enjoy canoodling with her, asshole. Careful not to let me catch her lipstick stain on the side of your mouth.

After shoving my book inside my locker, I slammed the door hard. Several people in the corridor flinched and glanced at me. I only glared at them. In the crowd, I spotted Erik making his way to me.

"Hey," he said. "How are you?"

"Fantastic. Couldn't feel any better," I retorted.

"Okay, stupid question. Sorry. I just"—Erik began rubbing the back of his neck—"I just haven't stopped worrying about you since yesterday. You were so mad, and... I feel like I was somehow at fault. I mean, if I hadn't asked you—"

"No, don't apologize. You didn't do anything wrong. In fact, I'm thankful for the time I had with you yesterday. It made me discover the shit he does behind my back."

The worried lines in face eased. "Is there anything I can do to make you feel better?"

"It's okay. Don't worry about me. I was mad, and yes, I am still mad. But I'm not going to break down in tears because of that. That's just pathetic."

"Always the tough one." Erik smiled, but it soon melted into a look of determination. "But listen, if he doesn't treat you right, I will."

Nice words. They sounded genuine, and I probably would've liked him right there. But I didn't want to be the kind of person who would look for a rebound.

"I appreciate your concern, Erik," I said, and I meant it. "But I can handle myself."

With that, I left. Tugging my backpack strap higher on my shoulder, I went to the parking lot and waited by Julianne's car. I had texted her earlier to come with me to Frozen Fruit because I needed to get something sweet to calm my nerves down. She got out of her club meeting before long, and we drove to our destination with the sun slowly setting behind us.