ღ Finding Cinderella (44)

warning: this chapter may cause diabetes

ღ Finding Cinderella- 44 ღ

-Kylie-

"Are you okay? You've been so quiet," I asked Lacey. She was on dishwashing duty tonight, and I decided to help her by placing the plates and utensils in the dish rack. I wanted to speak with her to make sure she wasn't bottling up her bad emotions. She might end up locking herself in her room again.

"Yeah, I'm okay," she answered, her eyes downcast.

"You and Clark talked after I left, right? How did it go?"

"Awkward, but he did try his best to explain his side. I really can't blame him for what he did."

"Oh. That's right..." I murmured, scraping the fleck of food on the plate. "I'm at fault, too, for being so strict and protective of you. I wasn't being a good friend and sister..."

"Oh, don't say that. You've only been trying to protect me. I don't hate you for that, Kylie."

I rinsed the plate and put it in the rack. "I'm glad to know that. But... I've been a total jerk to Clark, and I haven't been a good judge of his character, which still makes me at fault. I shouldn't have been a colossal wall between you guys. You're always at your happiest with him."

She slid me a teasing look. "Aww. Your silly romantic side is showing, sister. Better hide it fast."

I bumped her hip with mine. "Shut up," I said with a smile, pleased to see her back.

Her giggles filled the room, and then slowly, they transformed into a pensive smile. "I guess we all still need to learn how our actions and decisions affect other people," she said.

I hummed in agreement. "Anyway, have you worked things out with him?"

She puckered her lips. "We... decided to cool off for a while. I don't trust him completely yet, so he has to work hard to win my trust back."

Whoa. She wasn't letting someone off easy? That was a first. God, she seemed to be full of surprises today.

"Did I rub off on you?" I couldn't help asking.

"Funny. He asked me that, too. Do you find it weird?"

"No, no. I find it impressive. Never let anyone think you're easy."

When we were done with the dishes, we headed to the living room with Mom to watch Sleepless in Seattle, which we'd already seen bazillion times. In the middle of the movie, Mom went upstairs to sleep, so Lacey and I decided to switch to Supernatural.

"I'm getting a funny feeling," I said while munching on Doritos.

"Why?"

"Don't know. I just feel it. Like something's gonna happen."