41. Hazel is Scary

Percy tightened his grip on Annabeth's wrist. His face was grimy, scraped and covered in soot, his hair dusted with cobwebs, but when he locked eyes with her, she thought he had never looked more handsome.

Only then did she understand what would happen. A one way trip. A very hard fall.

"As long as we're together," she said. Percy's eyes turned dark.

"I'm sorry Annabeth," he whispered, and pushed her into the dumb waiter.

Before Annabeth could even register what was happening, the doors close and she plunged into darkness.

"Percy !!!!!" she screamed, banging against the door. She found the handle and managed to stumble out, falling onto a patch of grass.

She looked at the building and felt a sharp wretching pain in her gut. The building was halfway burnt at this point.

Annabeth's knees buckled and she fell to the floor. She let out a sob as her body shook uncontrollably. She escaped...but Percy.....what happened to him?

She felt the heat of the fire on her skin, but she didn't care. She cried, helplessly waiting for Percy to show any sign of himself. But he didn't.

All of a sudden, she heard a huge creak. The dumbwaiter door opened and Percy fell out, coughing. His shirt was burnt, but he seemed otherwise unharmed.

"Percy!" Annabeth screamed with joy. She managed to drag him away from the burning building, him still having fits of coughs.

Once they were out of trouble and Percy could breathe again, Annabeth launched herself at him. Her face was wet with tears, the soot on her face rubbed against his. But she didn't care. She kissed him. A good proper kiss. Percy's hands wound into her hair and he pulled her closer, kissing her back carefully. As if he was scared to break her.
They broke apart, gasping for air. Fresh oxygen entered their lungs.

"Be more careful, Seaweed Brain," Annabeth said, holding back a sob

"Be more careful, Seaweed Brain," Annabeth said, holding back a sob. Percy didn't say anything. He held her. They stayed like that in silence and watched as the building burnt.

"Percy we need to get back to the palace," Annabeth said gently.

Percy nodded, immediately getting to his feet.He stumbled, steadying himself with Annabeth's help.

They sprinted to the palace, both relying on each other for support.

They walked for what felt like hours until Percy's feet gave out and his knees buckled. "I can't do this Annabeth. I need water," he croaked.

"Just a little further Percy, please," Annabeth begged. She wished she had water with her. She wished she could help Percy. She wished harder than she ever wished before.