50. Hope

"How do you think you can manage a kingdom with the Poseidon boy? Yes, he's resourceful and tolerable, but do you seriously believe he can run a kingdom with you?"

Annabeth scoffed. "I'll find a way, mother," she paused. "The same way you find times to butt into my life without permission."

Athena looked offended, as she should be.

"Mother, I love him. And I've literally been through hell and back with him by my side. And as future Queen, it is my decision on whom I rule with. If you have a problem with that then....I suppose you'll have to find another heir."

Athena looked shocked, as if she had been stricken, "You would do that?!"

"Are you making me do that?" Annabeth asked in almost a whisper. Her vision blurred at the edges.

"I...I suppose I can't, can I?" Athena murmured.

"Mother...please," Annabeth whispered. She kneeled in front of her mother and took her hands in hers.

"He'll have to give up his kingdom then," she said firmly. Her grey eyes shimmered under the chandelier which hung above her.

"Mom.." Annabeth cried, stumbling backwards. "I can't ask that of him."

Athena stood up, smoothing her skirt. She had a meeting with one of her courtiers now. "I'm sorry Annabeth."

"Mom!," Annabeth said, standing up. She placed her hands on her hips, "I can't do that."

"You have to. Or you can rule different kingdoms like Princess Piper and Prince Jason."

"But-"

Athena shook her head sadly as Annabeth left the room. As the salty tears dried on her cheeks, she stumbled into a grinning Son of Poseidon.

"Percy," she smiled. Her heart constricted painfully at the sight of him.

"Wise Girl," he said happily. He frowned at the sight of her tear-stricken face and tugged her hair behind her ear.

"What's wrong?" he whispered, kissing her forehead. He pulled her into a hug.

"It's nothing," she smiled, but it wasn't convincing to her own ears.

"Well I was just coming to find you," he said, not convinced. He pulled her closer to him, "I thought we could go on a little date."

"A date?" she echoed, the edges of a real smile taking place on her features.

He nodded and led her to the place where they had their first kiss. The Labyrinth.

Annabeth laughed, "Why are we here?" she asked, blushing at the old memory.

Wordlessly, Percy pulled her into the maze. A similar path to where they went the first time, but it was obvious that now he knew where he was going.

They came to a dead end, and against the bushy columns was a picnic, all spread out.

"Awww Percy! This is so sweet," Annabeth grinned. How could she ever give him up? The thought was enough to make her stomach churn.

They sat and ate some strawberries and some blue cookies Sally made for them.

"Now will you tell me what's wrong?" Percy asked, taking her hand in his. He kissed the back of it, "You haven't insulted me once."

Annabeth stuck out her tongue, "I don't insult you all the time!"

"Yes, you do. But that's not the point. Come on Annabeth, don't you trust me?"

She sighed, "Percy, mom says we can't be together. I'm her only heir. And you...I can't ask so much of you..."

"Annabeth," Percy said, looking serious. "You know why I brought you here?" he asked her.

She shook her head, "To tell me that I insult you wayy to much?"

He grinned and shook his head, "Yes. But no. It's one of the things I love about you. I brought you here to tell you that I love you. That I can't live without you. You're the reason I survived hell. And we'll find a way to make it work."

Annabeth's heartbeat quickened. Joy. Pure and literal happiness. She felt as if she was floating on a cloud and Percy and she were the only people in the world.

"I love you too Percy, you're my whole world," she whispered. She leaned forward and kissed him. He cupped her cheek and pulled her closer, abandoning their little picnic.

He was right.

They were gonna figure something out, Annabeth hoped. Because they couldn't live without each other now.