52. The Lake

They hadn't figured it out.

The weddings were later that day, and Percy and Annabeth hadn't figured it out.

After Malcolm's death, Annabeth was the only child of Athena. There was nobody else who could take her throne. It broke her heart to think that she might never see Percy again, except for official business. Even those meetings would be extremely rare since there wasn't much between the two Kingdoms.

Percy had come to mean so much to her. He was there with her when nobody else was, or even could be. They'd both almost died, but they made it out together. Annabeth couldn't lose him now, after everything they'd been through.

The only way they could be together was that Percy give up his Kingdom. Annabeth knew that, but she would never ask so much of him. She couldn't ask him to let go of something he was raised for just to be with her. That would be selfish of her. She wouldn't do that to him.

Or of course, if they got married and lived separately in different kingdoms, like Jason and Piper, it could work. But neither wanted to go long without seeing the other. Their presence had been so ingrained in each other's lives that pulling them apart would practically break them. Besides, she needed Percy. He had been sneaking into her room at night and lying next to her since their brush with death at Tartarus. As much as Annabeth hated to admit it, she needed a constant reminder that Percy's heart was beating. And falling asleep in his arms each night did that for her. And of course, prevented some ugly nightmares.

"Annie!" Thalia called. "How do I look?"

Annabeth snapped out of her thoughts and looked up at her friend.

Thalia was in a simple, white, mermaid, strapless dress which made her look like a terrifying Goddess. Annabeth looked her over and smiled when she saw what Thalia was wearing sneakers.

"The shoes get to me," she laughed. "You look beautiful Thals."

"Yeah well. You really didn't think I'd wear heels did you," Thalia laughed along. She sighed when she noticed Annabeth's sad smile, and said, "Hey you you ok?"

"I-" Annabeth was interrupted by a knock on the door, which she wasn't sure she was greatful for or not.

She opened the door to see a guard. He handed her a note and scrambled away after paying his respects. It was a pretty busy day for them, will all the weddings that day.

Annabeth read the note and it said :

Annabeth glanced at Thalia, who was giving her a concerned look

Annabeth glanced at Thalia, who was giving her a concerned look. The bride nodded in understanding and Annabeth sprinted out of the room. Of course, she knew her way around.

In no time, she was pushing past the bushes and down the narrow path. The wet and muddy grass gradually gave way to the multi-coloured sand she vaguely recollected from the time she and Percy had come here first when Malcolm had died. She hadn't noticed the beauty of the place then when she had been grieving her brother. Now, as Annabeth trudged along, she realized just how magnificent the landscape was. The grass was now completely replaced by the kaleidoscopic sand. The trees lining the path were lush green, dotted with numerous, vibrant flowers. She could see the clearing up ahead and moved towards it.