Chapter 27| The Heat of the Mourning

So I'm supposed to not want you?

Julius's POV

"Julius." Ian growled and I looked up at him.

"What do you want?" I huffed and he scowled and gripped my shoulders.

It'd been weeks since the encounter with the strange voice and occasionally Ian would sleep in my room, mostly when I was in a bad place; which was maddening once I realized I was becoming dependent upon him being beside me to fall asleep. So I'd been avoiding him which was only making things worse because then I had no one to comfort me. I was well aware of it; that I was only making my situation harder.

But what was I supposed to do? Abandon Jezebel?

I loved her... didn't I? What am I going on about? Of course I did. It's possible to love more than one—what the hell? I don't love Ian.

"You need to get a hold of yourself. You've been in here for weeks. When's the last time you ate?" He asked firmly and when I shrugged he walked away returning seconds later with a plate of mashed potatoes and steak. I wrinkled my nose at the food and turned away.

I don't love Ian.

"I'm not hungry." I grumbled.

"Eat. Or I will force-feed you." He growled and I looked at him with a scowl.

"When did you suddenly grow some balls?" I asked harshly and he fixed me with a glare.

"Eat!" He snarled and handed me a fork before placing the plate in my lap.

I huffed and began eating.

"I'll have you know, I'm the one who has had to deal with your responsibilities while you've just locked yourself away all day and night. You're going to be the next alpha. And here I am with Alpha Kaden breathing down my neck because I'm your beta and apparently I'm supposed to relay all that he's been telling me back to you like I'm a messenger. You need to get ahold of yourself and get out of this slump. I understand, but you still have responsibilities." He ranted and I glanced up from my food.

"Are you done?" I asked and he scowled before covering his face and muttering inaudibly.

"Julius I'm serious." He finally said and he put his hands down and his crystal brown eyes pierced mine.

"I'm sorry. If you would have told me, I'd've come out to help." I said feeling genuinely bad about it. He gave a long sigh.

"Sure. Hurry up and eat so I can go." Ian quipped.

He just stood there with a frown etched on his face, his arms crossed and watching with those scrutinizing eyes. I felt like my mother was staring at me and I ignored the instinctive chill of fear that rushed down my spine.

"Ya know... you don't have to fucking stare." I grumbled and nearly choked on the steak I swallowed. He gave me a that's-why-you-don't-talk-with-a-mouthful look and embarrassment soaked through me.

Abruptly Ian scooted away from me and I looked up from the half-eaten steak. I shrugged and began eating again until a scent caught my nose. I paused and stared at Ian in bewilderment.