Chapter 20| How?

⚠️CAUTION⚠️ This chapter holds horrendous acts of violence and human sacrifice.

WARNING THIS CHAPTER DEPICTS A CHILD BEING BURNED ALIVE!! Please read at your own risk

A/N: I'm sorry, I'm a monster. I cried writing this...

Julius's POV

I stared at the ceiling as Jezebel ran her fingers through my hair. My head was in her lap as I lay in bed whereas she lounged sitting against the headboard.

She stopped at I sat up and gave her a quick kiss to the cheek.

"Get some rest; it's late." I told her. She'd been up with me for hours while I laid there trying to piece together everything that had happened recently.

She frowned at me but the tiredness was evident in her eyes and she didn't object as she laid down and got settled in bed.

"I'll be right back." I told her and she nodded in reply as I went for the door.

I walked into the living room almost bumping into Ian as I entered. Why was he still up?

He rubbed the back of his neck. His face had healed from my brother's strike, yet now he had two scarred claw marks running over his right eye. He gave me an uncertain look and I raised an eyebrow.

The only reason he wasn't placed with the traitors in the dungeons was because he'd helped me.

"What is it pup?" I asked him and he glanced to the ground.

"Nothing... I'm sorry Julius, really. I tried to stop him, but he wouldn't listen." He said and I couldn't help the prick of annoyance that ran through me.

"My brother wasn't in his right mind," I said laying a hand on the boy's shoulder, "don't blame yourself."

Ian looked downcast and gave a nod.

"It's not fair." Ian abruptly snapped and yanked his shoulder from my grasp. "He was my friend. I shouldn't have to choose between my pack and my friends!" He snarled and quickly covered his eyes with one of his arms.

"I'm sorry you had to make that choice..." I grumbled. Ian sniffled before throwing his arm down, his eyes reddened and glossy.

"He chose for me... like always. But still... he... ugh... I—I devote my life to you Alpha. And if you'd have me, please consider me for position of Beta." Ian said with a slight bow, fierce determination glowing in his eyes.

"You're too young." I deadpanned.

"It doesn't have to be now." He said exasperatedly standing upright.

"So I'm supposed to be without a beta for a few years?" I questioned him and he looked solemn as he fumbled for a answer. A smirk tugged at my lips but I quickly hid it. Damned kid.

"Fine. Beta Ian—Remember this role can and will be taken away, should you not preform your duties as should." I said and Ian's eyes lit up.

"Really?" He asked and I gave a nod.

"Thank you Alpha! I'll do my best." He said.

"Alright. Well I came in here to get a drink. Care to join me?" I asked and the pup nodded.

I walked into the kitchen and soon the both of us sat at the table him with a water, me with a shot of whiskey. I don't know why but I felt like taking him under my wing.

"Now listen Ian the title of Beta isn't just something to toy with. And since you're so young people will look down on you. But you won't have to worry about people challenging you for the position; only I can give or take away the title." I explained coolly.