Chapter 39| The Hero Must Fall

"Never compare your children."

Julius's POV

The day was a cruelly slow one. I was still tense from the morning's exchange with Alexander and to make it worse Ian was seemingly bedridden; apparently he'd caught a cold.

I felt eyes on me everywhere I went and my skin prickled and my teeth ground in annoyance.

The looks were obvious; for anyone with a nose could smell Alex's scent that had somehow managed to be wafted over the territory.

And the eyes all asked an unmistakable: "What are you going to do about it?"

But I wasn't sure if I really wanted to do anything about it. I mean—it's not like it was really doing anything; damaging my pride maybe, but hell my pride's been damaged for a long time.

I didn't want to address it.

Maybe I was ignoring it to save myself.

But soon enough, I could take the stares no longer.

I mind-linked the pack and soon a great majority was outside and I stood on the porch giving them a long look before sighing.

"I am the Alpha. Let me make that clear." I said and a murmur rose up from the pack, yet no one opposed.

"Alpha Julius—some of us wish to bear witness to the battle of you and Alex... that is—if there is a battle." A young male said and I found him immediately, he looked nervous as my eyes met his. I think I'd inadvertently glared at him.

"When that time comes, yes, you may all bear witness if you wish to." I said leaving the man and looking at all of the crowded people listening with utmost attention.

"That being said. You will bear witness through the windows of the house. My brother and I will not be disturbed. This is a family matter. And even though you are my people, a lot of you have looked down on me in the past; I know that in the heat of the moment if you try to interfere I will kill you." I said and the crowd grew silent soaking up my words.

Maybe that was too harsh. Chaos said to me in the oncoming quiet.

"Alpha Julius! Alpha Julius!" I glanced over at a cheer and smirked at Nancy.

You're embarrassing. I said through the mind-link.

Shut up loser. She retorted.

Eventually the chant was took up by everyone and I scowled a bit at it. Inside me Chaos paced back and forth, fur on edge; tense and anxiously waiting.

A howl clashed through the air.

I turned to the side immediately spotting the blip on the tree-line and my heart dropped.

His words from earlier echoed in my mind.

Alexander was home.

In the distance the sound of a storm rumbled.

Oh what a fitting night it is.