Chapter 36| No Help Here

"Everyone expects there to be help somewhere... there is... just not here."

Julius's POV

The next morning was as dull as ever, with clouds covering the sky and the scent of a storm was heavy in the thick, humid air.

I sat outside staring at the tree line. The trees swayed gently in the wind as I watched and part of me hoped I'd see Alex standing out there.

If he was there I could convince him to come home. I knew I'd be able to talk some sense into him... if he'd just listen.

My eyes scanned tirelessly along the tree trunks, watching and waiting for their target. Peering and pleading for that stupid kid to pop out of nowhere.

But I never saw him and after some time a heavy feeling stirred in my stomach.

A noise to my left caused me to whip my head to the side expecting Ian to be there and I was taken aback at Manik sitting down beside me. Her purple eyes looked out at the trees too and after a beat she cleared her throat and spoke in a hushed voice.

"Your brother has been very quiet lately." She said and I looked her over and shrugged.

"Not sure if that is a good or a bad thing." I answered truthfully, my mind racing with thoughts of my brother.

"Oh it's not good. Especially if that witch is still helping him. But I don't feel her energy; so either she's left or was disposable." She said wistfully and I just shrugged again. A part of me wanted to get up and move, but I'd been here first, so I tried instead to ignore her for the most part. I was relieved when she stood up and got off the porch.

"I told you—the new witches are some bitches." Manik said strolling over to stand in front of me and I scowled at her close proximity.

"You never said that." I deadpanned and she smirked and pushed an unruly lock of hair back.

"Well I've said it now." She said and I huffed.

"Don't worry, I'll stick around in case something else happens." She said.

I gritted my teeth. Something was really bugging me. I let out a sigh and met her purple eyes.

"Hey... why don't you just stop all this? I mean—can't you?" I asked.

"Are you asking me to fight your battles? Look, as much as I'd love to help, I'm not my sister. There's things I cannot do." Manik said and
offered me a reserved smile.

"But could you?" I asked again and she sucked on her teeth before throwing up her hands in a teeter totter fashion.

"It would depend on the circumstances." She said. "Technically, I could, but will I... that's another story."

"And why is that?"

"Because I—don't want to?"

"Then fuck off." I snapped and got up before hopping from the porch and walking away.

"Wait!" She said rushing after me and I whirled around as her hand met my shoulder. I glared at her hand and she got the unspoken message and let go.

"Let me be clear with this: we are not close. I only tolerate you because your sister was our god. But you are just the old bitch who cursed us. So stop acting so friendly. Either help or get the fuck away before I kill you." She looked to the ground.

"I apologized." Manik breathed and I scoffed.

"Why, thank you. It seems I forgot how much weight your 'sorry' holds... ha... Well guess what? Sorry doesn't bring back my brother, does it? Sorry doesn't magically heal me. Nor does it stop all this bullshit. So shove your sorry back in your mouth and choke on it." Tears were stinging my eyes and I let out a long breath. "Fuck you and your sorry."

"Julius—"

"No." I countered and stalked away from her.

"Leave him." A dark growl sounded and I suppose Manik had been about to follow me, and I took comfort in Ian's voice.

"Julius?" His voice was soft and concerned as he came to my side and his fingers were naturally interwoven with mine as he brushed my side with his. "Are you alright?"

I sighed and pulled him into a hug, and he yelped in shock as I crushed him against me. My eyes burned as I laid my head against his shoulder. My lips were trembling and he gently combed a hand through my hair.

"No." I croaked out and he pressed me closer to him.

"Thank you for not lying to me." He whispered and kissed my forehead. "Let's go in and talk, hmm?" He said gently pulling back to meet my eyes.

His eyes bore into mine and I smiled as some tears escaped me, "Yeah. Let's go."

He brushed under my eyes and gave me an encouraging tug towards the house and I followed feeling slightly better.

I'm back.

Hope y'all have been good.