Chapter 32| Fear Knows No Bounds

"Imagine you're in my shoes."

Julius's POV

My eyes opened to the brightness of a hospital ceiling light and I squinted and groaned as I tried to shield my gaze only to receive an ample amount of pain coursing throughout my body.

I was tired of waking up like this.

"Oh! You're awake. Thank Goddess." A nurse said hovering over me immediately and I tried to glance at her name tag but the words blurred and I stopped trying.

"Why can't I see?" I asked and my voice was harsh and gritty. She waved her hands.

"Just some effects of being in a slight coma. It should be gone in a minute or two. If it isn't let me know though." She said and I gave a nod.

"How are you feeling?" She asked and I scowled.

"Like shit." I grumbled and she chuckled.

I looked to her name tag and scowled at the swimming jumble of letters.

"Your body's healing nicely; believe it or not." She said and I bit back a growl.

"How long have I been asleep?"

"Just two weeks." She breathed and I frowned.

Slight coma? Just two weeks?

"Ian. What about Ian?" I asked.

"He's... fine. He apparently has no recollection of the event, so he has not been punished and has visited you everyday."

"And who thinks he should be punished?" I growled out and I could smell fear flow from the nurse.

"Not me—but some think he should; since he attacked the upcoming Alpha." She said softly.

I glanced to her name tag.

"That'll be enough, Anaya." I told her and she gave a nod.

"I'll let everyone know." She said walking to the door and without another word I was alone.

But not for long.

"Hey." Ian said as he slipped into the hospital room and the door gave a soft click as it closed. My body involuntarily went rigid and I clenched my jaw.

"Hey." I replied back and glanced up at him. Part of his head was shaved and I grimaced at the nasty stitched-up scar that ran across the side of his head. My stomach churned as his murderous gaze flashed before my eyes and I blinked it away, my nails digging into my palms as I clenched my hands. My eyes zeroed in on my lap. Suddenly the bandages around my neck felt itchy.

He shuffled closer and my heart was drumming in my ears as he pulled up a chair beside the bed. For a while it was too quiet as we just sat there.

"I—I'm so sorry." Ian finally said sounding as if he was about to cry and I scowled and glanced towards him enough to gage where his hand was and reached out to grasp it. His hand was warm and I swallowed painfully.

"The pack's been in an uproar... Alpha Kaden and Luna Amelia let everyone know that you're the true heir to the alpha title. I've given the traitors extra tasks. There's been no sign of Alexander." Ian sighed after a long while of silence and abruptly my throat was pained, as if I'd chocked on something sharp. I grunted and winced as I squeezed his hand in mine.

"I hope you weren't retaliating on them..?" I said in a questioning manner, regarding the traitors and Ian let out a bitter laugh.

"Of course I was—am." He muttered.