21| Fall

"I don't even know what I'm doing anymore."

Julius's POV

I grimaced in the hospital room. Death was creeping up on me once more, there was no denying it.

What a lousy alpha I was turning out to be.

"Don't look so down." Jezebel sighed from my bedside and grabbed my hand giving it a reassuring squeeze.

"Jez I'm dying again. How can I not be down?" I growled softly. The bite mark had grown infected and the doctors had informed me that it was too far gone to do anything—which made absolutely no sense at all. I'd just been bitten. Jezebel had theorized that there were magical forces at hand; which well I couldn't deny it and it was about the only thing that would make sense.

Alex had to have a helper—I had the Four Comings—so who did he have?

"Well you still have lives left. Like a cat." She chuckled and I glared at her but ended up laughing as well.

"So I either have two or one lives left—not counting this one—depending on if the last life will tie in with my own or not." I sighed and Jezebel's happy look immediately faded into worry.

"So after this one you could really die?" She asked softly and I gave a nod my stomach starting to churn.

"I don't want you to die." She said shakily and gripped my hand tighter as tears built up in her eyes and I chocked back a whimper and looked away from her.

"Hey—don't look at me like that. I don't plan on actually dying any time soon."

"Julius you're a good fighter—the best of the pack—but with Alex; it's like you don't care—you stop trying. You've let him kill you twice now." Jezebel said and my heart started racing, the monitor I was hooked up to let that be known. My palms became sweaty and a deep feeling of dread seeped through me along with a crushing feeling.

"I know... but—every time I look at him... I just see my sweet little brother. You don't understand." I said and felt my eyes pool with tears.

"I don't want to kill him. I can't kill him! He's my baby brother!" I snapped and yanked my hand away from hers as I covered my face and sat up.

"He doesn't see you as a brother anymore." Jezebel huffed and I frowned and removed my hands.

"You're an only child. You don't get it." I growled and Jezebel scowled.

"Julius—"

"Please, leave. I don't want to snap at you, but you pissed me off and I need to cool down." I grumbled.

I watched her go and my hands began to shake as the door closed behind her.

"I can't... how am I supposed to kill him?" I said tremblingly to no one, tears beginning to run down my cheeks.

My little brother.

How was I—?

Why do I have to be the one to do it? Why does it have to be Alexander?

"I can't do it. I won't do it." I grumbled as I laid back down.

My mind began racing with thoughts; all screaming to be heard at once and I gritted my teeth.

I can't do it.

My monitor started going slower and I glanced to the machines. Welp, another day another death.

I was suddenly running along a dark cliff-face. My heart was pounding as I followed a scent. My bones ached with worry.

I rounded a sharp corner and my hackles raised as I saw a large wolf cornering a much smaller one.

"Get away from him!" I—Fallensky—snarled and leapt onto the wolf hovering over the young pup.

"Dad!" The pup yelped as I wrested Amar away.

"Get back son." I growled out as we tumbled and clawed and bit at one another.

"Once I'm finished with you I'll kill your kid then I'll be Alpha." Amar snarled and bit into my shoulder. I yowled and wrenched away from him.

"Amar please—we were best friends—don't make me kill you." I growled as I barreled into him and we both skidded along the cliff edge. He huffed and knocked me off him and I landed against the rocky ground with a thud.

"You—kill me? Don't get ahead of yourself Dominic." He snapped with a chuckle as I regained my footing. My blood iced over.

He rushed at me and I snarled as I slashed at his snout, but he kept coming and grabbed my shoulder in his razor-like jaws. I bit back a yowl and clamped my fangs into his shoulder as well. He growled and shook me off and I took the opportunity to go for his neck.

He dodged me easily and bit into my flank. I growled and clawed at his face, snapping at his neck once more. But again he dodged. Amar would always be the superior fighter it seemed.

We fought like this for some time, and I was growing tired. Yet Amar seemed more energetic, coming at me with harder blows and bites, as if mocking me for being weaker. His triumph came off him in thick waves.

And finally my legs collapsed under me and he grinned a wolfish grin.

"Now watch." He growled and turned away from me, stalking towards my son Riley, who was watching with disbelieving eyes.

My son—no.

I growled and stood shakily. He would not kill him.

My jaws closed around Amar's hind leg and I looked back at Riley. He stared at me with a wide, fearful expression

I hoped my eyes told him how much I was sorry for this.

I love you Riley. Go home to your mom. I mind-linked him then shut off the link forevermore.

His eyes looked confused and Amar whirled around to snap at me and that's when I did it.

I reared back and let myself fall off the side of the cliff, my weight taking Amar with me.

"Dad!" Riley's voice rang out and I let Amar go as we became airborne.

The wind rushed through my fur and I stared up at the sky as it grew further away.

Above me boulders were falling to meet us at our end.

The ground was nearing.

It would be over soon.

I awoke with a gasp and looked around the empty room. A grunt left my lips as I sat up and ran a hand through my hair.

I let out a groan and stretched, rolling my shoulders.

"Fallensky your death was sucky." I sighed and tried to shake off the look of his terrified son's eyes that was marred into my mind.

Sucky, but noble nonetheless.

I've got a few chapters left! Turns out this book is gonna be the shortest of the series.

Peace!