Chapter 12| Pains

"Look at them... now, tell me, what do you see?"

Julius's POV

I slipped quietly past my parents' room careful not to make any noise.

The sound of the door opening made me close my eyes and clench my jaw shut. Dammit.

"Julius." Alpha Kaden's voice was gruff and tired, and putting on a brave face I turned to him.

I first noticed the darkness under his eyes. Then his unkempt hair and messy stubble on his face. Finally, I met his dull golden eyes and I felt a sharp concern pierce me.

"Yes sir?" I asked running a hand on the back of my neck before letting it fall.

He was silent for a pause, his eyes just watching me, making me uncomfortable, before he asked, "How's Jezebel?" His words came out rushed and tense.

Immediately I felt like my stomach was full of rocks. My eyes quickly downcast to the floor, training on my shoes, "She's doing g—great..." I said trying to sound confident but my voice betrayed me as it cracked.

"I heard you told off the hospital staff." Kaden said and I glanced up at him.

"They put wolfsbane in her room." I growled and his eyes widened a bit.

"Then you had every right to be angry." He said and laid a hand on my shoulder. I tensed at the action.

"Julius... I should have listened to you... I'm so—" I pulled away from him and he stopped talking.

"I don't want your apology. I just want this fucking nightmare to be over with." I huffed. His brows furrowed into a slight scowl.

Alpha Kaden opened his mouth to say something but I interrupted his words with my own.

"A hundred fucking wolves left because they think I'm not worthy enough. Because I'm not your son. Yet HE... he does all this shit and they join him? What sense does that make? And now I'm having to deal with all this... Not only did he always end up on top; he's still winning. My Jezebel has lost herself, she's stuck as a wolf and she doesn't remember me! She's scared of me! She—" My legs suddenly felt weak and I knelt to the ground and covered my face as sobs wracked my body.

"She won't even come near me." I croaked. I felt my blood pumping harder in my veins as hysteria flooded through me.

"Damn him. Damn him! DAMN HIM! How could he do this—" I choked on my words as the Alpha tugged me to my feet and caged me in a hug.

"Shhh. It's gonna be alright." Kaden sighed and combed a hand through my hair and my breathing slowed at the soothing sensation.

"Dad, what am I supposed to do?" I asked and wrapped my arms around him clinging on tightly. We stayed like that for some time.

"We'll figure it out together... wanna visit your mother? She's been trying to mind-link me ever since she realized you were out here." He said pulling away from me and nodding to the room.

"So you were blocking me." My mother's voice was heard from inside the room and Alpha Kaden grinned guiltily.

"We were having a father-son moment." The Alpha said and the Luna scoffed.

I followed the Alpha before a sound made me freeze.

Screams brought my attention to the outside and I scowled and turned. Kaden seemed about to follow me when I put up my hand respectfully stopping him.

"I'll handle this. Just stay with Mom." I huffed and it wasn't long before I was outside.

The sight before me was pretty much like déjà vu. Alex was standing a bit away from Great-uncle Drew and Dalton, who was on the ground looking disheartened.

I looked around and saw no others... I suppose my brother had gone off on his own.

"Back up faggot." Alexander snarled and great uncle Drew helped Dalton to his feet glaring at my younger brother.

I sucked in a breath, "Shut the fuck up Alex." I growled.

Dalton regained his footing and bared his fangs at the young wolf. His greying hair was disheveled and he ran a hand with it before spitting, "Learn some respect you ignorant pup."

"Aw the gays are mad." Alexander said with a smirk.

Drew snarled and took a step towards him but Dalton grabbed his hand and stopped him.

"Let me go." Drew growled his eyes blazing.

"Dr—"

"Let me go." Frowning worriedly Dalton released his mate who took a straight charge at Alexander.

I held my breath as the two collided and shifted into their wolves, jaws snapping wildly.

I let out a breath as Drew pinned down my brother and snarled in his face.

"Okay. Okay, I'm sorry I pushed him." Alexander said with a whimper and Drew snorted and relaxed before going to step off of him.

Abruptly Alex snarled and Drew's ears perked in alertness, but he wasn't quick enough to stop the teeth from sinking into his throat.

My body froze and Uncle Dalton yelled out and stumbled forward as Drew whined in pain and the scent of blood filled the air.

My brother let go of the wolf, his jaws stained the color of my fur. Drew managed a snarl at my brother before he hobbled to Dalton.

"Alex, get back here dammit!" I yelled as my brother left and I was torn between staying with the old couple or going after him. I couldn't help but notice Drew looked shaken and pale as he stared at me.

"Alpha Andrew? How... no... what am I—Julius. It's okay son." Drew chocked as he looked at me oddly.

Dalton fell to his knees and hugged the bleeding wolf close.

"You dumbass. What were you thinking?" Dalton choked out and Drew nuzzled his chin, his blood running from his wound covering both him and his mate.

"I'm sorry. He hurt you." Drew gurgled and Dalton managed a weak smile.

"I will follow you. In life and death my love." Dalton cooed and ran a hand through his mate's fur.

"I love you." Drew sighed and went limp.

"Goodbye Julius... I've already had two heart attacks. I won't be able to take the pain of the bond. And besides, I wouldn't want to live without him even if I had a choice..." Dalton explained giving me a sad smile. I gave an understanding nod. My throat burned with emotion.

I glanced to where Alexander had been but he was long gone.

I looked back to Dalton as he whimpered and his eyes suddenly widened. His eyes drooped shut and he hugged Drew's body close before his body went through the natural course and soon two dead wolves laid before me curled together in a dying embrace.

Tears ran down my cheeks.

I failed them... I'm such a... I'm nothing...

A howl rose up and I whirled around to see a grey, bloodied, wolf on the outskirts of the tree-line.

Alex.

Without hesitating I shifted and with a snarl pelted straight towards him.

I'll update again soon!

Peace,

Kayla

🍁