Chapter 7 | Enemies

"Mine?"

Julius's POV

"Oh..." I said not being able to think of anything better to say.

Jezebel let out a groan before glaring at me, "Why did you have to ask me that?" She whispered harshly then turned away from me to stare out her window her arms crossed over her chest.

I looked at my feet and ignored the aching in my heart as I walked over to her and laid a hand on her shoulder.

I love you Jez.

"It's alright. You don't have to accept it. I'm not expecting you to drop your mate." I managed to get the words out and plaster a reassuring smile on my face even though I felt like curling up and dying.

"Are you sure you're alright?" She asked looking up at me.

"Yes." I said and she frowned in suspicious disbelief.

"Liar." She said and I laughed.

Come on please believe it. I thought as I laughed and after a bit her untrusting look faded into one of amused annoyance.

"Why would you play like that?" She said in a bemused voice and I shrugged.

Thank Goddess. I thought but I was fighting to keep the smile on my face.

"Jezebel I was messing with you; a joke. Lighten up." I said chuckling.

"You suck!" She said and let out a relieved breath. She gave a smile.

"Yeah." I said snickering. "Hey, I gotta check in with Dad so... see ya later." I said and she gave a nod and with a quick hug I left her room.

It wasn't long before I made it to my own room.

I closed the door behind me and locked it. A whimper escaped me and I frowned.

"No. No. You're not doing that." I growled to myself and clenched my jaw as I felt tears burn in my throat but I swallowed them and sat on the edge of my bed.

Abruptly I stood up and kicked the bedpost, "Fuck!" I whisper-yelled trying not to draw any attention. My heart pounded painfully and I drew in a tattered breath.

Run. My wolf said and I frowned.

Why? I responded.

Run. Now. Outside. We have to run. We have to get our brother.

I made my way outside and shifted, not looking back as I pelted towards the dark woods.

My wolf ran, my legs pumping furiously. Everything blurred passed us. I was sad, angry, jealous, and so many other feelings all at once.

So you can imagine my reaction when I finally found my brother. He was casually sniffing the ground, in wolf form as I strolled up to him. He brought his head up as I neared him and his cold eyes raked over me.

"Stop ignoring Jezebel." I growled to Alexander  outright and he gave me a long look before giving a wolfish laugh, his tongue lolling out on the right side of his jowls.

"Shut up Julius." He growled and turned away from me.

"Excuse me? Listen I don't have time for your shit right now. You better talk to her Alex." I huffed.

"What I do with Jezebel is my own business—after she is my mate." He snapped and his fur bristled along his back. My chops twitched in the urge to snarl.

"Well then all the more reason to talk to her brother." I said letting out an exasperated breath.

"We are NOT brothers." Alex barked and without another word he ran off.