Chapter 1| It's Life

"In the end that's just how life goes, isn't it?"

Nancy's POV

I groaned as Julius ran around me in his pup form and rubbed the place he'd just nipped on my arm.

"Julius if you bite me one more time I'll tell your parents." I said and the young blood red wolf huffed and bared his little fangs.

Alexander the baby had shifted as well and was padding unsteadily after his older brother.

Unlike his brother, Alexander had striking bright gold eyes, while Julius had electric blue. As I watched the little one clamped his teeth on Julius's tail and he yelped and turned around and snapped his fangs in Alexander's face. The baby pup barked and leapt at his brother and the two tumbled around. Red and light grey fur mingled as they went at each other.

"How's it going?" A voice said and I sighed as Brenton laid an arm over my shoulder.

I glanced to him and he smiled down at me.

"It's fine. These two are at it again." I huffed and Brent chuckled.

"You hear from Ryan?" He asked suddenly serious and I felt my body tense and heart ache.

"No..." I sighed. Brent noticed my change in demeanor and a guilty look crept to his face.

"I'm sorry I asked." Brenton said.

Ryan had left a year ago around my seventeenth birthday. He'd lost control of his wolf one night and tried to bed me. To make matters worse he satisfied his needs with some woman not soon after he left.

"It's okay. I'm fine. It wasn't meant to be." I breathed.

For a long while Brent was silent and he hugged me to him. His chest rose before he gave a deep huff.

"Are you ready for your birthday tomorrow? Finally eighteen." Brenton asked and I gave a shrug.

"I just hope he doesn't come." I said feeling dread rush through me. Brent growled and pulled me impossibly closer.

"Don't worry about him. I'll be looking out for you." He sighed. I nodded and tensed as the young twenty-one year-old kissed me on the top of my head.

"Brenton." I snapped immediately annoyed at the contact.

He only chuckled and kissed my forehead.

"Brent stop it." I huffed not liking the soothing feel he was giving me.

"Stop feeling sorry for yourself." He growled softly.

I gasped as he kissed my cheek. Abruptly he jumped away with a curse and I looked at him in bewilderment. He was wrestling his leg away from Julius who had his teeth buried into his pants, no doubt his skin as well. The crimson pup wouldn't let go for the longest and Brent tried to keep his swearing to a minimum.

"Nancy, get him off... fu..." he groaned.

"J-Julius stop that right now." I said and the pup amply let go and gave himself a shake.

"She said stop and you kept on. Keep your paws to yourself." Julius growled and gave a little snarl. Though he was so very young the threat looked menacing. Brent's blood gleamed on his fangs.