Chapter 18 | Too Bright

"I saw the light of Heaven and was damn-near blinded."

Julius's POV

My eyes peeled open to see a blinding light and I blinked in shock as my eyes adjusted to my beautiful surroundings. I tilted my snout to the wind and sniffed, but no scent I recognized hit my senses.

Tall oak trees mingled with pines and warm sunshine peeked through the foliage. I looked around seeing no one and my heart began pounding.

"Hello?" I called in bewilderment.

"Hello pup." A familiar voice said and I whirled around. Two grey wolves stood behind me, one darker than the other and my heart leapt at the sight.

"Uncle Drew; Uncle Dalton!" I yipped and bounded towards the wolves. They chuckled as I skidded to a halt in front of them and they nudged me affectionately. I went to nuzzle them when something—more like someone—caught my eye in the background.

"What's he doing here?" I asked feeling my fur prickle up along my back.

"We have no say in where anyone ends up." Dalton said and I glared towards where my brother was sitting by a stream.

"I'm going to talk to him." I huffed and the two older wolves nodded. I brushed passed them and trotted to my little brother.

His ears flicked as I sat beside him but he didn't look to me as I tried to figure out what to say.

"You should stay." He abruptly said and I tilted my head.

"What do you mean?" I asked in a hushed voice.

"You killed me. You're still holding onto your life though. Please brother; you can't leave me here by myself." He whimpered and looked to me showing pained eyes. I gasped and my ears laid against my head.

"Alex—" I gulped.

"You can't leave me here Julius. I'm sorry for what I did; just don't leave me." He whined and buried his snout in the fur of my neck.

My heart ached softly and I looked ahead at the stream. The light danced wonderfully off of the water and beyond it the forest was a glorious mix of green and honey.

Maybe I should stay...

"Julius...." A faint voice called on the wind and my head whipped around. Alexander started at my sudden movement.

"Did you hear that?" I asked him and he shook his head.

"Julius..." the voice called again and I stood and turned towards the sound, my heart beginning to race.

"It's Jezebel." I gasped and sadness gripped my heart.

"I have to leave. I can't stay here with you." I sighed and Alex growled.

"You can't leave me! Please! I don't want to be alone!" He howled and curled up beside me. I stepped away from him and he looked at me with desperation in his eyes.

"Alex you made your choice. You died... I'm not leaving her behind." I huffed and with a heavy heart turned away from my little brother.

"Julius...!" As I padded onward the voice got louder and I whined at the urgent and scared tone.

"Then go! But remember you murdered me! You murdered your little brother!" Alexander's howls followed me as I ran onward towards the sound of Jezebel.

"Don't leave... Stay here... She'll join you one day... Be at peace young one..." A soft silky voice wrapped around me and for a moment I hesitated, but then I was running even harder.

I'd never leave Jezebel.

I squinted my eyes against the light. Everything was getting so bright. Too bright.

Suddenly I opened my eyes to darkness. My heart thumped harshly.

I can't see! Where am I? Why can't I see?!

I could hear multiple wolves rushing in front of me and smelled an unfamiliar territory, yet for some reason I felt at home.

I looked around wildly and my fur bristled at the strange wolves, snarling and surrounding me.

"Leave us. We're too old, we can't keep up. It's our time. Save yourself." A feeble voice said from behind me and my legs stiffened as I somehow identified this unrecognizable tone.

"Jem you can't fight; you're blind. Get out of here while you still can." Another voice said and I snarled.

"I will not abandon you." My eyes widened at the voice that wasn't my own leaving my mouth... Nightwatcher?

I stood in front of the two elder wolves and bared my fangs. A wolf lunged forward and I yelped as he bit my leg and buried my teeth into fur and flesh. Claws slashed against my face I whirled around and bit into a flank. Pain shot through me as teeth sunk into my neck and I yowled and dug my fangs deeper into the skin. My claws tore into skin and the scent of blood filled my nose.

"To your left!" A yell rang out and I tore myself free and charged left, barreling into a heap of fur and I bit down and fought as hard as I could.

"Behind you!" Another warning and I whirled around and slashed at whatever was there smirking as I felt my claws sink in and a yelp.

I snarled as teeth tore into my side and neck and I thrashed wildly, biting into fur and skin, blood pooling in my mouth, claws tearing my face and snout, my own claws spilling blood and the thud of bodies hitting the floor was a relieving sound.

My ears strained against the pounding of my own heart as I listened for anymore snarling or growling but everything was quiet except for the familiar breathing of the other elders and my trembling legs gave out. Pain swarmed through me and I whimpered occasionally.

"Grant her passage Goddess." Someone whispered solemnly.

"You're a hero Jem; you've saved us; rest now." A whimper sounded and a snout pressed softly to my ear. I gave a wolfish grin, happy to have served a purpose. A warm feeling rushed through me before everything just stopped.

My eyes opened and I sucked in a breath.

"Oh Goddess! Julius what were you thinking?" I blinked groggily and barely had time to catch my breath before Jezebel had her lips on mine.

"Jezy... I need... to breathe." I gasped as I managed to pull away from her and lay back on the ground.

I just died. I saw Nightwatcher's death. I thought in disbelief as I stared at the sky.

Short update. Will try to update again soon!

Peace,

Kay