Chapter 38| Panicked Pleading

So here we are, just you and me...

Julius's POV

My eyes snapped open and I took in a labored breath. My chest felt tight and I sat up, careful of Ian asleep next to me and glanced around the room in confusion.

Not liking the drumming in my chest, I slipped from the bed and placed a finger to my neck, as if that would somehow give me a different beat than the one that was banging against my ribcage.

I walked towards the bathroom and placed a hand precariously on my chest. Why was my heart racing?

I glanced back to the sleeping form of Ian and softly closed the door behind me. My breath was ragged and I took a deep breath and held it.

Calm down. Calm down. You're fine. What's happening?

My mind raced and I rolled my shoulders feeling like I needed to move. I looked at the door and locked it, scowling at my trembling hand. I clenched my jaw and stretched my arms repeatedly before leaning down to stretch my legs, yet I still felt the urge to do something and soon I was jumping in place.

"What the fuck? What the fuck?" I muttered and stretched again.

My heart was still pounding and maybe what I was doing was making it worse but I didn't know what to do.

I was trembling and sweating so I stopped and sat down. Jumping wasn't going to calm my heart but sitting still felt awkward and wrong and my legs fidgeted before I squeezed them to my chest trying to will myself to just be still.

I was tired. I wanted to sleep but my heart would most certainly not allow that at the moment, not with the way it was pounding in my ears and making me feel as if my ribcage would burst.

I'm not sure how long I sat there but a knock on the door had me starting upright.

"Julius?" My eyes stared at the door for a moment.

"Babe?" I flinched at Ian's voice and unlocked the door.

"Can I open the door?" He asked and my throat seared and tears welled up in my eyes.

"Okay..." I gritted out and the door creaked open.

Ian's tired eyes met mine and he gave me a pitiful look and crept up to me. He sucked on his teeth and seemed to want to say something but he wrapped me in a hug instead. He laid his head on my chest for a while then pulled back.

"What's wrong, your heart's racing?"

"I don't know." I grumbled and squared my shoulders, "I can't sleep." He glanced up at me and brushed a hand against the back of my neck.

"You want me to get your parents?" He questioned and I shook my head in disapproval.

"Want me to get you some sleeping medicine?" He asked.

"Sure." I whispered and he nodded and quickly left the room before returning in what seemed like the blink of an eye with two pills and a gummy.

I eyed it curiously and Ian added with a small smile, "The gummy is some extra melatonin." He said and I eyed the pills.

"You're really trying to knock me out hmm?" I said and he sighed and nodded.