Chapter 40| So Says the Mighty One

"Why—why? Why do you ask me to do horrible things?"

Julius's POV

"Julius. Julius open your eyes." A sweet voice rang in my ears and I grudgingly obeyed. My fuzzy vision began to clear to see a white wolf.

"I'm not sure he can do this; boy's died umpteenth times and has barely laid a scratch on Alex." Someone huffed.

"Oh come on Clay, have a little faith." The white wolf said looking behind her.

"Fine. He isn't that weak is what I'm saying. Anyone can see that; he's dying because he's sloppy." The deep voice said with a snarl embedding the words.

"Hey... It's not his fault." The sweeter voice chastised.

"Who's fault is it if not his? Stand up boy." The gruff growling voice added and I saw a black figure creep behind the white. I blinked and the figure showed a coal-pelted wolf. I stood and my ears laid back as I realized who was standing before me.

"Luna Katlyn and Alpha Clayton." I said and bowed my head.

"Well ya could've just went with Grandma and Grandpa; no need to be so formal boy." Alpha Clayton huffed and the Luna nudged his side.

I looked around me. We were still in front of the house but everyone else was gone.

"What's happening?" I asked but my question went unanswered.

"Clay we don't have much time." She said and the Alpha nodded.

"I know—Julius, we're with you. You're not dead yet—" my heart sank. Yet? Am I dying?

"Clay!" The white wolf interrupted.

"You're not gonna die—" my grandmother sighed.

"Yet." Alpha Clayton huffed.

"Clay! Dammit! Hush!" She snapped and the Alpha snickered.

"Alright. Alright." Convel said and Firestorm rolled her eyes.

"We'll be right beside you hunny. But Alexander has to die. We can't have another Blood Wolf." She said softly and her mate flinched.

"It's kind of funny don't you think? I mean, saying that to him... because... he's the color of blood." Clayton said and trailed off into a low whine under his mate's glare. He cleared his throat and straightened up.

"Your grandmother is right kid. Gotta do the ol' Cain and Abel." Convel said and I frowned in confusion.

"Kane? The first Ravenwolf?" I questioned.

"No. But you know what? I never even thought about that—" Convel began.

"Clay." Firestorm hissed. The black wolf looked at me and went on.

"What's Kane and a bell?"

"Kane spelled C. A. I. N. Cain and Abel; it's a human religion thing with... Christians?... something about two brothers fighting... one kills another... just forget I said it. You look lost." He said giving his mate an embarrassed look. I nodded slowly.

"So he'll be like you?" I asked Clayton.

"Ouch. Will he be how I was? Yes. Worse. I had the sense, even in my crazed state, not to go after my loved ones. You're brother on the other hand..." My grandfather gave a disappointed shake of his head.

My heart ached and I almost bared my fangs in anger. Was this the only way?

"You can do it though Julius. You're a Ravenwolf after all." Katlyn said nudging my ear gently with her snout.