Chapter 1

I've been alone for most of my life, giving up on all relationships long ago. In middle school, I always tried so hard to connect with everyone. In the end, I was always known as the school's freak show. After that, I became a turtle hiding myself away inside my own shell.

The only person to ever be in my life is my older brother, Caden, but even then we hardly interact. Our parents both died when I was little, so I have no recollection of them. Frankly, neither does Caden so we're both pretty much out of the loop.

Caden and I were all that each other had growing up. Nowadays though, I tend to push him away too. It's not that I want to, but in the end I always try to avoid him. I guess I'm just running away from facing the reality that someday our connection will be lost. But, if I continue at this rate, it may very well be.

**

"Serine! Hurry up, or we're going to be late." Caden called my name from downstairs. My face was buried deep in my pillow, and I just groaned. Going to school was the last thing I wanted to do right now.

Three knocks on my door, and I flew straight up. "I'm coming, I'm coming!" Sounding fully alert, the words sprang out of me.

I could hear him snicker behind the door. "Still putting on that delay of waking up I see." Well I couldn't help that I wasn't a morning person. Like, at all!

"Whatever, I'll be down in a minute." I shouted through the door as I began to change. After throwing on a pair of jeans, Caden gave a reply.

"Alright, just hurry. I've got a meeting to get to for student council. I'll be out in the car."

That's right. He's the president of the school, so of course he has to be there. Unlike me, Caden is practically the center of the school, always getting attention even when it's unwanted. I guess those are the perks of naturally being approachable.

Well, whatever. I finished changing and stepped into my shoes. As I ran out the doorway, I grabbed the strap of my backpack, then headed straight downstairs to the front door.

I jumped in the car throwing my backpack to the floor. As Caden drove off, I stared out the window watching as the world flew by.

"You're as quiet as ever." Breaking the silence, Caden muttered.

"I heard that."

"Good, you can still speak." I could tell he was smiling from the tone of his voice. "So..."

Turning my head, I looked over at him. His eyes were fixed on the road, so concentrated. His blonde hair was a bit messy, like he just ran it over with a comb without actually brushing through. "I already know what you're going to say, you say it everyday, just drop it would you?"

He shrugged. "Alright, I won't say it." And just like that, he dropped the subject. I turned my head back towards the window again. For the rest of the ride, it was nothing but complete silence.

**

Caden parked in the back of the school closest to the gym. That's always his shortcut to get to the Student Council room. "So what's your big hurry?" I asked sounding curious. Though I could care less, it makes him happy to hear me ask questions, so why not ask one now?

As expected, a grin spread across his face. "It's about the upcoming dance next week."

A dance? Really? How lame. "I see," a small laugh escaped me. "Well then you better get going."

"Right! I'll catch you later!" He waved back at me as he ran straight through the doors.

I stood there leaning against the car for a while. My fingers tightly wrapped around the strap to my backpack. Everyday, I always feel this tension in my stomach. It's always the same. No matter what I do, even if it's nothing, it never changes.

"I always wonder...why me?" Whispering to myself, my eyes scanned the school. "If only I could just disappear all together. I wouldn't have to bother with people, or be bothered for that matter." But then again, I wouldn't want to leave Caden. Well, even if I did, at least he wouldn't be alone.

My thoughts became shattered when I heard the sound of people shouting in the distance. Looking over, I saw a group of people walking straight towards me. I gritted my teeth and ran the other way. Their voices began to fade as I ran.

Taking a sharp turn, I ran into something hard causing me to fall backwards. As I looked up, I saw two jocks hovering over me. They both wore football jerseys, and both were extremely tall. One of them had tattoos peaking out of the sleeves of his shirt where as the other one didn't look so intimidating.

"Watch where you're going, freak!" The jock with the tattoos snared at me as the other one laughed.

My stomach turned and my head began to ache. "Sorry..." I murmured as I got up. Without a second thought, I ran past them in a hurry, but was suddenly jerked back. I screeched as the jock yanked my arm with a tight grip.

"I'm not done with you yet." He demanded as he put us face to face.

Swallowing hard, I started to say something, but was interrupted by the first morning bell. A teacher walked around the corner and called out.

"Derek! Let her go." She approached us and pulled his arm away from me. "Both of you, get to class. This is your first warning. Next time, it'll be the principal's office."

"Yes ma'am." They both said in a hurry, and ran off.

I rubbed my arm where a huge red mark rested. Standing there, the teacher, Mrs. Green, watched as the guys ran off. Her hair was in a high bun, complimenting her casual school clothes. Looking away, I hesitated. "T-thank you.."

"You should be getting to class too, or you'll be late." She stated.

For a moment, I just stood there, frozen. Subconsciously, I gripped my arm tightly causing it to hurt a bit more. Just as she was about to say something, I nodded and ran off in the opposite direction.

I hate it. I hate it here! Everyday, I'm constantly avoiding people but manage to get myself involved in something bigger. Even when I don't try, I'm always teased and messed with. Sometimes I envy Caden and his perfect life.

**

Barely making it to class, I took my seat just as the second bell rang. In all my classes, I always sat in the back just to avoid being noticed. Resting my chin on my right palm, I started doodling on a blank sheet of paper.

When I was young, I used to draw all the time, though the pictures I drew weren't always clear. At random, an image would appear without warning; sometimes they were like dreams actually portraying some type of scene. It kind of alarmed me when I began seeing myself in those images.

To this day, I'm still unsure what they were, but when I told Caden, he seemed to think they were visions of the future. Well, that's long in the past. I stopped having those images around the time I entered high school. Still...what made them stop?

"Alright class." Mr. Anderson declared. "Take your seats. We have a new student today. He won't be in for another few minutes. The principal is still going over some things with him. So, until then, start reading the next chapter while I make up this weeks lesson plans."

A new student, huh? I could hear all the girls whispering to each other. A new boy, ooh I wonder if he's cute. How tall is he? What is he wearing? So annoying.

What was the point in bothering with it anyway? Like I'd ever be able to become friends with him any easier than anyone else in this stupid place. No need to think about it, might as well start reading the next chapter. At least I can get it over with.

**

Some time passed before the new guy showed up. I was about finished with the chapter before our teacher caught me off guard. "Class, this is Alex. If you'd like you can introduce yourself, or you may just take a seat."

The moment I looked up, my eyes shot open. I couldn't believe my eyes. It was him...the one who I always saw in my visions. B-but...how? One of my drawings came into mind and it looked just like him. Long, black shaggy hair, tall, almost six feet. He even wore the same white collared shirt over his long black sleeve with a pair of dark blue jeans.

My heart began to pound louder with each second that passed. It skipped a beat the second his eyes met mine. Alex stared at me intently causing my body to tense. Slowly, his straight face turned seemingly menacing as his mouth curled into a striking smirk.